* Meyer said that he is ready for year two. He is excited to see what the development in the program has been. He said that he is excited to see a few of the freshmen. As a team, they are not quite ready to play yet, but it is what it is.
* Asked about the defense, Meyer said that "The jury is certainly out." However, he is really excited and very confident. Last year at this time he had no idea, but now he has a better feel for what they have. He said the OSU defense hasn't been to the Ohio State level lately, and he is looking to get them back there this year.
* On defense, Meyer said they were going to be faster and more aggressive as they grow. More pressure packages. Less bend, don't break. "That's not what we want. We want to be an aggressive defense" with more man defense because they now have more people who can do that.
* Captains: They voted for captains last night. He'll have a discussion with the team tonight and probably announce it tomorrow. It's not his decision on who is named captain, it's the players' decision. He wanted the team to take its time and do it right.
* On goals for the Buffalo game, he said the first thing they have to do is win a game. He mentioned that Buffalo has a linebacker that would start for Ohio State (Khalil Mack). They play a very difficult defensive scheme and you don't see it often. Wants to win the game and be fundamentally better than they were last year to open the season.
* On the dime defense, he said with so many spread offenses today, they have to go with a dime because they want to play man coverage and you can't do that in a base defense against a spread offense. It will be a “very normal” part of the defense this year.
* Asked to single out some players on defense, Meyer noted Noah Spence, Adolphus Washington, Ryan Shazier and Michael Bennett as all playing at a high level. Bennett is playing better than he ever has per Meyer.
* Meyer mentioned that he has seen Shazier pressing. He could tell he was having issues, but in the last week “he's been Ryan Shazier again.” He just wants Shazier to play, and the rest will take care of itself.
* Meyer said that center Corey Linsley is 90-95% right now. He will start. He's got a few more days to get him to 100%.
* Asked about Northwestern opening with California this week, Meyer said that that game will provide a large portion of their preparation for Cal. They'll have that film immediately. He said it's very important to get the tendencies from that game.
* On Dontre Wilson's first game in the Shoe, Meyer said that "There will be a lot of awe there" on Wilson part. Though he did add that Wilson's experience in playing large high school stadiums in Texas will probably help him a bit.