Two-Minute Drill: Updates from Wednesday Post-Practice Interviews
By Tony Gerdeman
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer met with the media for his weekly Wednesday evening press conference. He gave updates on the status of defensive tackle Tommy Schutt, as well as news of a position switch.
Also talking to the media were six of the eight Buckeye captains, each of whom talked about the honor that has been bestowed upon them.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said that he didn't think eight captains watered down the captaincy. He just felt like the vote was so close for so many that it was an indication that these were the eight players that the team looked up to most. He said Jack Mewhort had the most votes, followed by C.J. Barnett. Kenny Guiton came in third or fourth.
* Meyer confirmed the reports of Tommy Schutt's injury, stating that he broke a bone in his foot and that he will be out until midseason. He then mentioned that offensive lineman Chase Farris had been moved to defensive tackle and has played well. He added that Farris will definitely play on Saturday. A source has told me that Farris was moved prior to Schutt's injury. Farris was a defensive end all through spring football last season, but was switched to the offensive line during the offseason. He made some plays on defense during that spring, and he still has his burst and explosion, he's just carrying 35 more pounds than he was as a defensive end.
* Meyer said that Guiton being voted a captain was "awesome".
* Asked if Jordan Hall is itching to make a statement on Saturday, Meyer replied "Oh boy", as confirmation that Hall is ready. He then added that Hall has been as good as he's ever seen him these last 10 days.
Updates from the Captains
* Braxton Miller said that it was a privilege and an honor to be named a captain. He mentioned the types of leaders the team had last year and said that he's got some big shoes to fill.
* Among other things, Jack Mewhort said being named a captain was "a really cool thing". He said it was a huge honor and that it's great to be held in such esteem by his teammates.
* As for Buffalo, Mewhort said "Now it's just a mental game for us. We've got all of the banging and stuff out of the way. We're out of camp, and we're getting our bodies right and we're making sure we have our schemes perfected, film study, and then go from there."
* Mewhort said that he wasn't surprised there were so many captains. He said that the team noticed the void of leadership from last year, and a lot of players stepped up to fill that void.
* Mewhort also added "I'm excited to get out there and play against some guys that aren't Buckeyes."
* Kenny Guiton wasn't at practice when the captains were named, so Tom Herman called him up and asked him to swing by the WHAC, and that's when he found out.
* Guiton said that he was surprised to be name a captain, but he's viewed himself as a leader for a while, so in that sense it wasn't a surprise.
* Guiton said that he won't be changing his approach because it has worked well enough to be named a captain.
* Christian Bryant said that while he's more of a vocal leader, he knows the younger guys are always watching him, so he has to lead by example as well and teach the younger guys.
* Philly Brown said he was overwhelmed to be named captain. Urban Meyer called his name last when announcing the captains. He said a year ago he could have never imagined being named a captain. He said that he has grown a lot in the last year, and even Meyer has spoken to him about his growth.
* Brown said that he has high expectations for the offense this season, especially with the way their tempo has been running. He called it "flawless".
* Ryan Shazier echoed a few other captains when he said that he was kind of surprised, yet not. They all have been leading the team this offseason, so it's not really a surprise.
* On Buffalo, Shazier said the one thing that he was worried about was their running back Branden Oliver. He said they have to make sure he doesn't break any long runs. He also said that they will have to watch for some gimmick plays as well.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.