* Meyer was asked if he sees national championship-qualities in this football team, and he related it to the 2006 team that dealt with injuries and got better each week. He said the defense continues to get better, and the pass defense is much better than it has been. He said they'll be working more on the pass defense and the kickoff return unit during the off week.
* Meyer gave himself a grade of “B” when it comes to staying healthy and keeping away from the problems that he had at Florida.
* Asked about tight end Jeff Heuerman, he said they have no interest in big, plodding tight ends, and that's sort of what he was brought to Ohio State to be when he was originally recruited. He said that when he leaves, however, he will be one of the best tight ends in the nation.
* Meyer said that C.J. Barnett is one of the best tacklers on the team, and has “always been my right-hand man” when it comes to player situations. He said he's always been one of the top two guys he goes to on player issues.
* Meyer said the safeties who have stepped up in place of Christian Bryant are getting better, but they need to continue to improve.
* Meyer said he will be watching both big games on Thursday night.
* Meyer said he didn't realize Michigan State held Michigan to -48 yards rushing, but he's interested to watch the film in the next few days.
* Meyer said he usually watches Thursday night games with his son.
* He said he thinks “we're pretty close” to being where they want to be. It's the closest they've been since he has been here. “When we coach them, they get it.” “These kids want to be coached, and they want to be great.”
* Meyer said their focus is on Illinois, but they'll spend the early portion of the week working on themselves.
* Meyer said Jordan Hall practiced well last week, but he woke up on Saturday and was stiff and sore and couldn't go. He called it a chronic knee injury. He said Taylor Decker is doing well and his knee didn't swell, so they hope to have him this way.
* Meyer said Wisconsin's Chris Borland is one of the best blitzing linebackers that he's ever seen, and Ryan Shazier is similar. He said Shazier sees the blitzing lanes extremely well.