* He said that Braxton Miller had a great workout in the pool this morning and is feeling good. His knee is healing at a rapid pace, but it will probably be a game-time decision.
* He said that he's putting a 9:00 pm curfew on the team Thursday so that they can get rested before heading west.
* Meyer said that Michael Bennett missed some practice time on Wednesday because of the heat. He said that people don't understand what goes on at a Wednesday practice at Ohio State.
* He said that Rod Smith played pretty well on special teams last week. He said that Warren Ball has to step up more on special teams. He said there's an issue on punt block, as they've been penalized too much to this point. He told them that he's losing confidence in them and if they can't straighten it out, he'll stop calling for a punt block, and that's a big part of their game plan.
* He said they practiced with some crowd noise this week, but it's not a huge problem because they're a shotgun team.
* He said that Dontre Wilson is getting better and better, and it was exciting to see how happy Wilson was with his first career touchdown. He said that Wilson was one clothesline tackle away from taking a kickoff return for six points last week. He said it was a missed block that ruined the play.
* Meyer said that Kenny Guiton had a solid week of practice this week. He said that Guiton made great strides through his mental reps last year and this year. Meyer said mental reps didn't exist before he got here, and now players are seeing how well they worked for Guiton. He said that Cardale Jones is still the number three, and he had a good week of practice as well with increased work. He said that freshman J.T. Barrett has some Kenny Guiton in him, so he's always focused. He said Jones has incredible talent, but has to get more focused.
* He said they got a good number of reps for the younger players last year, but they didn't execute as well as he would have liked. They didn't score like he wanted to late in last week's game.
* Meyer said the Buckeyes are faster than they were a year ago when they played California. Regarding Cal's passing game he said that the majority of the time the ball is thrown in under two seconds, which makes it difficult to get a pass rush on the quarterback.
* He said the California defense is very sound. The defensive coordinator was at Wisconsin last year, so they've watched a lot of tape from last year's game against the Badgers. They don't blitz a lot, but they also don't make a lot of mistakes.
* Meyer was asked about the importance of unity in football, and how unified this current team is. He said that when teams are equal, it's the unity that wins games. Against Buffalo, they had more talent. But when they play against a team with equal talent, it will be the unity and solidarity that wins it, as it will also be the lack of the same that will lose it.
* He was asked about Aaron Craft, and Meyer jokingly said that he's starting at Cal this weekend. He said he's had multi-sport athletes before with Jeff Demps and Riley Cooper, but they need to be exceptional. He said it's very hard now.
* Meyer said that if Braxton Miller isn't ready to go, he won't play. If he is ready to go, Meyer will then have to decide whether he'll start or just get mixed into certain situations.
* He said that if Kenny Guiton was an incompetent quarterback, they might change a few ideas at quarterback, like adding the wildcat, but with Guiton, they can take their time with Miller.
* Meyer was asked what makes him so good at recruiting. He said that it's more than one person, it's an entire staff and they are all driven. He said that when you believe in something, it's easy to sell it. It's easy to recruit when you love what you're doing.
* He said that he prefers to deal with high school coaches when recruiting and they don't really recruit players who have handlers or a “third uncle”.
* Meyer said Skull Session blew away some recruits recently.
* He said that he's very happy to have Bradley Roby and C.J. Barnett for this game because there will be chaos on defense due to Cal's offense.
* Meyer said that Adolphus Washington is questionable to make the trip. He said that right now he thinks that freshman Joey Bosa might be one of their top four defensive linemen on the team. He would get the start in Washington's place.
* He said the defensive coaches have to coordinate the substitutions so that they are able to match up with Cal's offense when they substitute.
* Meyer said he's looking forward to seeing how many Buckeye fans are on the road this weekend.
* He said that Cameron Johnston has had his best two weeks of practice. He said that a problem Johnston is having right now is “stabbing” at the ball and not following through on his kicks. He said he can't wait until Ohio Stadium sees one of his big booming punts.