Two Minute Drill: Updates from Wednesday's Post-Practice Interviews
By Tony Gerdeman
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer met with the media after practice for his weekly Wednesday personnel updates. He talked about the offense returning two of its best players, while the defense will be without one of theirs for a little while longer.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said that while Carlos Hyde is now back, he won't instantly be in the lineup. Jordan Hall has earned the spot he is in, and Meyer said it would be unfair to simply put Hyde back in the starting lineup.
* He said that Adolphus Washington is out this week as a precaution, but he is probable for the Wisconsin game.
* Meyer said that Braxton Miller still isn't at full speed, but should play in a limited role on Saturday.
* He said that they have missed the power running that Carlos Hyde brings.
Corey “Pittsburgh” Brown Updates
* Brown said that FAMU throws quick screens, just like all of their other opponents have.
* He said that Devin Smith has become a go-to receiver that can take over a game. He said that Smith drives a defense crazy because they have to play so far off of him, which means the quick passes out wide are always going to be effective.
Jordan Hall Updates
* Hall said that with Carlos Hyde back, it's just one more problem for opposing defenses to deal with. He said he is excited to have Hyde back, and Hyde is definitely excited to be back.
* He said the team has had two good practices this week, so they aren't worried about a let down.
* Hall said that he can tell Braxton Miller is anxious to get back out on the field.
* He said it's going to be difficult for defenses to handle the combination of Hall and Hyde because they are two very different backs to prepare for.
Marcus Hall Updates
* He said he's not worried about a let down because every game is a once in a lifetime deal.
* Hall said that FAMU blitzes nearly every down, so they can't afford to take the defense lightly.
* He said that it's “definitely” different blocking for Kenny Guiton and Braxton Miller. He said that you can be pass blocking for Miller, and then the next second he's running right past you. He said Guiton is more of a pocket passer who stays back there.
C.J. Barnett Updates
* Barnett said that the California game was good experience for the defense. They got a look at a fast-paced passing attack, and they'll be even better prepared for something similar next time.
* They ran some defensive sets with seven defensive backs on the field. The lineup is called “The Penny”, and Barnett loved it. He said he'd like to see a defense with 11 defensive backs on it.
* He said that they have to be more disciplined moving forward, especially with the “stupid penalties”. The defense made mistakes at critical times that they can't repeat.
* He said that he's hoping some young players get to play significant minutes this week. But he added that they have to treat every opponent with respect.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.