Two-Minute Drill: Updates from the Ohio State Postgame
By Tony Gerdeman
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes took it to the Hoosiers 42-14 on Senior Day, and are now one game away from going 12-0 for the second consecutive season. After the game, Urban Meyer and several members of the team spoke with the media. Here are the highlights.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer started out by thanking the “nutjob students” who stayed until the end of the game.
* He said focus won't be an issue next week with the Big Ten Championship Game the week after that.
* On Braxton Miller's running, Meyer said, “It would be hard for me to say that isn't the best he's ever run that I've seen him play.”
* Meyer said Joshua Perry played very well and that Cameron Burrows did a nice job in place of Doran Grant, who left with a slight injury.
* Meyer said that Ryan Shazier is “playing at a very high level. His heart is everything.”
* Meyer said that it was a great performance all the way around, and that there is “no effort issue at Ohio State.”
* Meyer said that Curtis Grant will play next week, and could have played this week.
* Meyer said that winning 23 games in a row means that this group of players will have been a part of something special, and the players who are part of something special always come back to Ohio State later in life. He's happy that this group will continue to come back.
* Meyer said the play will Kenny Guiton reversing to Braxton Miller is called “Jazzy” because of Kenny G. He said Tom Herman gave it that name.
Luke Fickell Updates
* Fickell said he was surprised by the 20 tackles that Ryan Shazier had because he couldn't always see what he was doing out there. He did say that a few members of the offense were talking about him though.
* He said that they prepared extremely well for Indiana's offense, and the results showed on the field.
Braxton Miller Updates
* Miller said he was running a little carefree at times because he wanted to go out and play hard for the seniors, which is why he went to the air twice for touchdown runs. He said it was also the first time he was playing without a knee brace since his injury and “wanted to have a little bit of fun with it.”
* Miller said the game plan was to run the ball in part because of the weather and also because Philly Brown was a little banged up.
* Miller said he was happy that Kenny Guiton got to see the field. “I wanted to see my big brother go out there for the last time, see the fans cheer him.”
* On Dontre Wilson: “A guy like that, you gotta keep him on the field. He's going to make mistakes, but he does it fast, as you can see.”
* Miller said that this was one of the coldest games he's ever played in.
Carlos Hyde Updates
* Hyde said he's expecting Michigan to bring their “A” game on Saturday.
* Hyde said that he's “looking forward to playing teams that the media hype up so we can really show what our team is capable of.”
* Hyde said the most special part of this season is just how together the team has played throughout.
Dontre Wilson Updates
* Wilson said that this was the first time he's ever played in snow. He said his hands were basically useless, which is why he dropped the third down pass on the sideline. He was trying to catch the ball with his arms.
* On his touchdown: “I saw the hole open up and knew I had to go get it. It was just another happy moment for myself and the team.”
* Wilson said he watched the Michigan game on television last year, but doesn't know that much about them. He expects that to change this week, however.
Devin Smith Updates
* Smith said the weather reminded him of the game against “That Team Up North” last year. He said he was pretty cold towards the end of the game, but didn't really notice it during the middle of the game because of the atmosphere.
* Smith said that Braxton Miller is playing really well right now, and throwing much better than he was a year ago.
* Smith said that he is soaking in the 23-game winning streak, but he's been thinking about the Michigan game since last week.
Kenny Guiton Updates
* Guiton said it meant a lot to him to get to play in his last game in Ohio Stadium. He said he's been through a lot in his career, and it was awesome to hear the crowd when he ran out.
* Guiton said they've been practicing “Jazzy” for a while and was happy that they finally got to run it.
Ryan Shazier Updates
* Shazier said the defense played very well, especially in the first half.
* Shazier said he's been playing for Christian Bryant and the seniors the last few weeks, and it's showing up in his play.
* Shazier said the sack that he had late in the game was nice, but he's still mad about the touchdown pass on the screen that he missed right after that.
* Shazier said that this might have been his best game ever. He finished with 20 tackles, 5 tackles for loss, a sack and a forced fumble.
Michael Bennett Updates
* On the defense, Bennett said, “We wanted to come out and prove to everyone that Ohio State has a great defense, and I feel like we accomplished that.”
* Bennett said the biggest thing in preparation for Indiana was preparing for their tempo. Their speed of play can mess defenses up.
* He said the key to the defense's play was that they were able to control the tempo, and they stopped big plays and made Indiana try to grind it out.
Kevin Wilson Updates
* Wilson said the outcome of the game was based on Ohio State's ability to run the ball, and control the game with their rushing attack.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.