Two-Minute Drill: Updates from Urban Meyer and Brady Hoke's Big Ten Teleconference
By Tony Gerdeman
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer and Brady Hoke spoke on the weekly Big Ten Football Coaches Teleconference about the upcoming game this weekend and pretty much nothing else. Here are the highlights.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said that Carlos Hyde has handled his business this season and Stan Drayton has done a great job developing him as a player. He said the offensive line has come a long way because a lot of the players who are excelling now weren't even playing a couple of years ago. He credited Jack Mewhort and Ed Warinner both for the overall turnaround, but said each player on the line has bought in.
* Meyer said he doesn't need to bring out anything special for motivational purposes this week.
* Asked about having significant fan support on hand in Ann Arbor this week, Meyer said he has witnessed some things this year that he has not seen before when it comes to fan support, most notably at California.
* Meyer was asked if he was a Michigan State fan this week and he said he couldn't even tell you who Michigan State was playing. They'll worry about the Spartans after this game.
* Meyer said he hasn't watched Michigan's offense yet, but has a lot of respect for Devin Gardner. He saw the Indiana game where Gardner exploded and said it was as good of a performance as he's seen.
* Meyer said that Bradley Roby has played very well since the game against Wisconsin. “He's been very professional about his approach. Very impressed.”
* Meyer said the defensive line keeps getting better each week, which you would expect with a young group like this. “I think there's some future NFL players in that group.”
* Meyer said after the fact, rivalry games are fun. But in the process it's all a grind.
* Meyer said Armani Reeves practiced on Sunday, but they'll know more today. Philly Brown and Evan Spencer will have more known about them today. Meyer said they had minor injuries last week. Curtis Grant should be able to play, but they'll know more today.
Brady Hoke Updates
* Hoke said "As a team, we haven't played the kind of football we've wanted to play." On Ohio State: "It’s a big challenge, we all know that. They’re a good football team." Overall: “It’s an exciting week. There’s a buzz because of the great rivalry and the respect we have for Ohio.”
* Hoke said he has frustrations every day, but there are great moments also. The offensive line has had some rotation, and they haven't found the right chemistry yet. He said it's mostly youth and inexperience, but this late in the season, those things should be cleared up more.
* Hoke said the Ohio State defensive line is good. He said the Buckeyes are always going to have good football players. He said the development of Joey Bosa has been impressive. He said OSU has a physical front line.
* Hoke said the game comes down to stopping Ohio State's running game and Carlos Hyde. He said they need to get some negative plays and force turnovers to “steal a couple of possessions.” He said they have to get off the field on third down, which has been difficult for opponents with Braxton Miller's ability to make plays with his feet.
* Hoke said the Michigan defense is playing better of late because of the youth on the defensive line who have begun to play better. He said that it doesn't hurt that they got Jake Ryan back either.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.