Two-Minute Drill: Wednesday Post-Practice Updates
by Tony Gerdeman
Urban Meyer and several of his Buckeyes – including Braxton Miller – spoke with the media after Wednesday's practice. Here are the highlights.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said he hasn't heard the hype about this game because they are in lockdown mode in the football facility as they prepare for Northwestern.
* He said that Braxton Miller is full speed and ready to go.
* Meyer said the team's quick starts are indicative of the offense's comfort level, and it was good to see that quick start on the road at California.
* Meyer said that the defense is adapting “okay” without Christian Bryant, but they'll see more tomorrow. He said they will go with Corey “Pittsburgh” Brown in Bryant's place, but they will also have to get Tyvis Powell and Vonn Bell up to speed. He said that they will have to bring Bell along much faster now.
* He said they will do the best they can to get Jordan Hall involved. He said Hall handled the situation well. Meyer talked to him about it and he said Hall is a great team player.
* He said that Ohio State and Northwestern run similar offenses.
* Meyer mentioned that safety Devan Bogard moved to will linebacker a couple of weeks ago.
* On Northwestern running back Venric Mark, Meyer said he was fast and a great returner, and that they'd have to cross the t's and dot the i's on him.
* He said he anticipates something new from Northwestern's defense given that the Wildcats have had a week off to prepare for the Ohio State offense.
* Meyer said that backup viper Jamal Marcus has returned to practice.
C.J. Barnett Updates
* Barnett said the rotation at safety is working fine right now with Pittsburgh Brown in the lineup.
* He said “honestly, I didn't even enjoy the win” when asked how he took Christian Bryant's injury. He said a lot of guys on the team went to the hospital to visit him. Bryant was back at the football facility today and Barnett called him “the same Christian”.
* Barnett said there isn't a difference between communication with Bryant or Brown because of the experience that Brown has.
* He said Northwestern's offense has guys that can make plays, which is concerning. He mentioned quarterback Kain Colter and running back Venric Mark. He also mentioned their third-down conversion, which is very high.
* He said that the Buckeyes do well against third downs because of the pressure they get on the quarterback.
Braxton Miller Updates
* Miller said there are some things on Northwestern's defense that they believe they can take advantage of. He said there are a couple of coverages that the Wildcats play that they have good plays for.
* He said he is much more confident in the passing game than he was a year ago. The receivers weren't as confident, and he didn't know the playbook as well as he does now. Now he's able to focus more on things like placement.
* Miller said that Kenny Guiton has been the same as he's always been. Same vibe, no controversies.
* He said it feels good to go on the road and take over an opponent's stadium with Buckeye fans.
* He called Philly Brown a “great leader for the younger guys”. He goes hard all week long and other receivers have to match his effort, which makes them better as well.
* Miller said he felt great last week in terms of timing and passing. He said he didn't miss a beat, and he was sure to keep up his mental reps while he was out.
* He said his touchdown at the end of the first half he looked off the safety and knew Philly Brown would be open. He said he “definitely” wouldn't have made that throw last year. On the back-shoulder touchdown to Devin Smith, he said that was his second read.
Curtis Grant Updates
* Grant said that Northwestern has a similar offense to Ohio State's, so they're somewhat familiar with it. He said with the two-quarterback system that Northwestern plays, it makes a little easier to defend them because you have an idea of what each quarterback is going to do.
* He said that Kain Colter can make defenders miss, so they have to contain him and then gang tackle him if necessary.
* Grant said that road games are one of the great things about college football. He said he loves to go on the road and create havoc.
* He said the entire team has Christian Bryant in their thoughts, and they'll all be playing for him. He said they'll miss his leadership on the field a bit, but called it a bump in the road.
* Grant said that the Wisconsin game was probably his best game to date.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.