Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Postgame
By Brandon Castel
EVANSTON, Ill. — Ohio State is 18-0 under Urban Meyer following maybe their toughest victory of his coaching tenure in Columbus – certainly right up there with Wisconsin and Purdue from a year ago.
Senior Carlos Hyde ran for 168 yards and three touchdowns as the Buckeyes erased a 23-13 deficit to pull of a 40-30 victory over Northwestern at Ryan Field in Evanston. Here’s an inside look at what Meyer, Hyde and a number of other Buckeyes were saying after the game.
Carlos Hyde’s Beast Mode…
* Hyde was tearful during post game. Called the suspension one of the hardest things he ever faced.
* There were actual tears on Hyde's cheeks as he talked about missing those three games and not knowing if he would get this opportunity again.
* Fighting back tears, Hyde said he prayed every night for another opportunity like tonight.
* Hyde said he's out there trying to make up for those first three games. Has never played harder or hungrier in his life.
* Meyer on giving Hyde 26 carries tonight: "that tells you how much I trust that kid."
* Hyde: "I'm made for that. I'm made to carry the ball that many times."
* Philly Brown said there is no way to stop Carlos Hyde when he's in beast mode. Also said just having Braxton back there makes it tough.
On Braxton Miller…
* Urban Meyer said he was really close to putting Kenny Guiton in the game.
* Meyer said he was "real close" to putting Guiton in. He just didn’t feel it was right. "I had confidence 5 would get it done."
* Philly Brown said he wouldn't have been upset of Meyer put Kenny Guiton in. "We can win with either QB, but we knew Braxton would get it done."
* Braxton said the knee still bothers him a little bit during the game but he's not in pain after the game at all.
* Braxton said he expects to come back healthier and faster after the bye week.
* Hyde gave a speech to his teammates at halftime. Told them 1st half was unacceptable, this offense scores touchdowns not field goals.
* Philly Brown said there was no panic in the locker room at halftime. They knew they had to play better on offense and they did.
Channeling Christian Bryant…
* Ryan Shazier said Christian Bryant didn't make the trip but he talked to the team before they left Columbus.
* Shazier wore No. 2 in honor of his injured teammate. He said they needed Bryant's energy and toughness out there today and he felt him out there in spirit.
* Shazier wasn't sure if he will continue to wear No. 2. Has to talk to Christian Bryant first.
* Noah Spence said Shazier talked to them before the game and said to go out and do this for CB.
Difference in the Game…
* Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald said the difference in the game was probably Ohio State’s five sacks.
* Spence said they started to realize as the game went on the NW O-line couldn't block their font four.
Refusing to Lose…
* Philly Brown said the difference in this game was just Ohio State's will to win. This team just refuses to lose.
* Noah Spence said this team works so hard every day they won't let it be for nothing.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.