Two Minute Drill; Purdue Post-game
By Rob Ogden
Looking for its 21st-consecutive win, Ohio State dismantled Purdue 56-0 in front of a scarlet-clad crowd at Ross-Ade Stadium. After the game, Urban Meyer and members of his team spoke to the media. Here are the highlights.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said anytime the Buckeyes' pass defense is as good as it was Saturday, they're a really good football team. Added that that was the team's biggest improvement over the past couple weeks.
* Meyer said Doran Grant's first-quarter interception set the tone for the pass defense for the rest of the day.
* When asked if he had the two best quarterbacks in the Big Ten, Meyer said he has the two he would take if given the option of any two.
* Meyer said right tackle Taylor Decker has a sprained MCL and will be out for a week or two.
* He said running back Jordan Hall is still having issues with his knee, but added that he'll be able to return soon.
* He said it will be a very intense bye week.
* He said Ohio State's offense is pretty close to what he envisioned they could be prior to the season.
* Meyer said Curtis Grant and Michael Bennett are a little banged up, but will be fine by the time the next game rolls around.
* He said it was good to get the second-team offensive line more reps, noting that they will lose four starters after this season.
* Meyer said Jeff Heuerman is playing on a different level from where he was for the first five weeks of the season.
* Meyer joked that he docked offensive coordinator Tom Herman's pay this week. Herman missed some time due to the birth of his child.
* Given the option of different pizza toppings after the game, Meyer chose pepperoni.
Braxton Miller Updates
* Miller said they knew from watching film that the tight ends would be able to exploit Purdue's secondary.
* He said they had a chip on their shoulder today after two close games against Purdue the past two years.
* He said he didn't get down on himself after throwing the interception. He said it was a great play by the defender.
* Miller said last season he probably would have run for the touchdown that he dished to Philly Brown in the corner of the end zone.
Jeff Heuerman Updates
* Heuerman said he credits Miller and the offensive line for his big day receiving.
* He said the Buckeyes definitely have the two best quarterbacks in the Big Ten, and added that backup Kenny Guiton leads the team downfield like a knife through butter.
* Recalling the last two games against Purdue, Heuerman said they knew they had to come in and make a statement on Saturday.
* Heuerman said the team is more focused now than ever, and added that a focused team is hard to beat.
Tom Herman Updates
* Herman said he hasn't watched enough of the other players, but said it would be hard to convince him that there is a better quarterback in the Big Ten than Miller or Guiton.
* He said he hasn't gotten much sleep with the baby around, but said he keeps a notepad nearby at all times in case he thinks of something football-related.
* Herman's newborn son is named Maverick. His oldest son's middle name is Danger, he said.
Doran Grant Updates
* Grant said the interception meant a lot to him, but meant more to the team.
* He said their ability to get after the quarterback helped the secondary immensely.
* Grant said today's interception was redemption for the one he missed against Iowa two weeks prior.
Kenny Guiton Updates
* He said a dominating performance like Saturday's is great for team confidence.
* Guiton said he feels like the team is finally clicking on all cylinders on offense and defense.
* Asked if he and Miller were the best two quarterbacks in the Big Ten, he said yes.
* He said his ability to stay engaged on the sideline is what allows him to be so successful when he enters games.
Carlos Hyde Updates
* Hyde said they don't focus on winning streaks, but admitted that the 21-game streak is exciting.
* Hyde said everybody on the team is focused right now.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.