Two-Minute Drill: Updates from Urban Meyer's Tuesday Teleconference
By Tony Gerdeman
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer took 10 minutes out of his very busy day to take part in Tuesday's Big Ten teleconference.
There were no shocking revelations, but Meyer did admit that with Bradley Roby, C.J. Barnett and Rod Smith returning, it's nice to be getting closer to the complete roster that has envisioned.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said that he's looking forward to getting more of his roster back this week, including Bradley Roby at cornerback.
* He said that he his Utah defense took a beating that he can't ever remember his defense taking before when he played against Rocky Long (San Diego State head coach) back when Long was the head coach at New Mexico. New Mexico gave Meyer his last loss when he was at Utah.
* Meyer said that Christian Bryant's attention to detail has improved, which has help him become a much better leader. He said that Bryant was one guy who was really enthralled with the leadership class that the football program provided.
* He talked about how competition eliminates complacency. He said that he wants three deep at each position, and if you don't have that it's because complacency sets in. He says he can see the competition every day at running back. They all practice hard every day.
* Meyer said that when you are the hunted, that's when you worry about complacency. However, Meyer said that he doesn't feel like his team is the hunted, he sees them as hunters. They are still hungry.
* Meyer said that they probably won't make the decision on Bradley Roby starting until Thursday. It will depend on practice this week. He is an "OR" with Armani Reeves right now.
* Meyer said that Bri'onte Dunn has to play on special teams before he'll see the football on offense.
* He said that Eastern Washington's quarterback is one of the best quarterbacks he's ever seen, but he still expects San Diego State to be the nine-win team that they were last year.
* Meyer said that he knows what Rocky Long wants and he's famiilar with him and his style. He said he's looking for a healthy dose of SDSU running back Adam Muema on Saturday, even though Muema left last week's game with Eastern Illinois with an ankle injury.
* He said that he doesn't expect nearly as many passes (64) from San Diego State this week, even though they still have to prepare for it.
* Asked about non-conference scheduling, Meyer said that he leaves that up to Gene Smith and doesn't think about it.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.