Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from Meyer’s Spring Kick-Off Event
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Current Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer made an appearance at the Buckeye Football Spring Kick-Off on Wednesday.
The event is hosted by Lynn Bruce, daughter of former OSU coach Earle Bruce. Of course Bruce is Meyer’s mentor and one of the main reasons he took the job in Columbus after a year away from coaching.
This was the 20th-annual event benefiting Alzheimer’s Research. It was also a benefit for the Urban and Shelley Meyer Cancer Research Fund at the Wexner Medical Center.
Ohio State historian Jack Park provided a unique look back at the six undefeated teams in school history, including the 2002 BCS National Champions and Meyer’s 2012 Buckeyes from last season.
“I watched you closely, you don't breathe during that presentation,” Meyer joked as he took the microphone.
He also joked with Park about owing strength coach Mickey Marotti 260 push-ups before he leaves for all the times he said the word Michigan, a no-no inside the walls of the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.
Here’s a look at some of the quick hitters from Wednesday’s event.
Braxton’s New ‘Do
* The biggest, and strangest, news of the day was quarterback Braxton Miller and his new haircut. Miller took off his hat to reveal a bleach blonde Mohawk on Wednesday.
* Miller said the only motivation for the new look was that his hair was finally long enough to dye and he wanted to take advantage of it.
Looking Back at 2012
* Meyer said it's easier to take over a bad program because kids don't push back. They want to win. He credited the job Jim Tressel did at Ohio State, saying guys felt like they already knew how to win so why did they have to do it the new way.
* Meyer said he expected an 8-4 or 9-3 season after last spring practice.
* He was worried they might start the B1G season 0-2 if they played the way they did the first four games. Said people might be throwing dinner rolls at him today if they lost those first two games to Michigan State and Nebraska.
* Meyer said he talked to his coaches after John Simon's emotional speech. Felt they had a fake team and they were in trouble because the players and coaches didn’t care as deeply as Simon did. That had to change.
* Meyer said he told this team to put everything they have in the middle, “you do that and you're one of the elite teams in college football history.”
* Meyer said he received a lot of heat for his clown show comment, but looking back it really was a clown show.
Looking Ahead to 2013
* Meyer said his biggest concern is replacing the best group of leaders maybe he's ever been around.
* Meyer said he expects 2013 team to be much better fundamentally. If they find the right leadership, magical things could happen.
* Luke Fickell said they have to teach some guys how to be leaders.
*Tom Herman said the goal is to be the best fundamental unit in the country.
* Herman said he feels like last year the offense was operating a first-grade level. Hoping they can graduate to a college level this fall.
* Ed Warinner said Jack Mewhort has done everything they've asked him to do this offseason.
* Warinner said the only other thing they're going to ask Mewhort to do this offseason is stay away from The Memorial Tournament.
* Everett Withers said the Buckeyes had 14 interceptions last year, but feels like they dropped 28 picks they should have had.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.