Two-Minute Drill: Meyer, Mewhort on B1G Spring Teleconference
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer headlined Thursday’s portion of the Big Ten’s spring football teleconference.
He was the first of the Leaders Division coaches to talk with the media, and Meyer was joined by senior left tackle Jack Mewhort. Here’s a look at what Meyer and his senior captain had to say about spring football, the offense and some players who are making a name for themselves this spring on defense.
Talking Spring Game
* Meyer said it's been a very good spring at Ohio State. Much different than last year.
* As far as the spring game, Meyer said he wants to see the WRs make some plays they didn't make a year ago and wants to see the front seven perform.
* Meyer called Rod Smith one of the 5 most improved players on offense this spring. Likely won't play Saturday because of a concussion.
Latest on Braxton
* Meyer said Braxton Miller doing much better at being more vocal and being a leader. Has better energy. Showing up early for practice.
* Meyer said if practice started at 3pm, Braxton wouldn't get out there until 2:59. They asked him to change that and he has.
* Jack Mewhort praising Braxton Miller's improvement as a leader. Said he's willing to get in a guy's face now, which he never did before.
* Mewhort on the idea Ohio State could average 50 points a game: "I sure hope so." Said they must get better at executing.
* Mewhort called it an honor to be a leader on this football team. Said he's nowhere near where he needs to be in that regard yet.
* Meyer said Carlos Hyde and Rod Smith are 1/2 on the depth chart. Third back is Ball or Dunn, depending on the day.
* Meyer said WR is still a major area of concern right now. Said they're not where they need to be in quality or depth.
*Meyer said Chris Fields has made some excellent progress. Philly Brown had a good spring. Devin Smith was good early be he plateaud a little bit the last week or two.
* Mewhort praises the job Reid Fragel did last year. Said they need to develop a right tackle so they can get that same chemistry going again.
* Meyer singles out DB Tyvis Powell as the guy who really came out of nowhere this spring, "I'm very glad he's a Buckeye."
* Meyer said they identified Adolphus Washington as a guy with a lot of talent but he didn't play as much as they had hoped as a freshman.
* Meyer said Washington grades out high in everything he does, but he doesn't play with a chip on his shoulder. Starting to see that.
* Mewhort on Washington: "If he keeps going, he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with in this conference."
* Meyer said he would be disappointed if Noah Spence doesn't have a very good year. Thinks he can be an All-B1G candidate.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.