Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from First Spring Practice
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Day one of spring practice is in the books.
It’s only March 5 and the basketball Buckeyes are still fighting for a Big Ten Championship in Bloomington, but Urban Meyer and his team took the field at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center Tuesday evening.
We were there to watch every minute of Meyer’s first spring practice in year two. We have complete breakdowns of day one in our Spring Practice Insider reports, but here’s a breakdown of the quick hitters.
* Meyer said QB Braxton Miller had “a heck of a day.” Also said his footwork was outstanding on day one.
* Sophomore Taylor Decker was the 1st team right tackle, but Chase Farris also got a few reps with the first group.
* Senior Jordan Hall looked great in his return from a PCL injury late last season. He worked exclusively with the WRs, was running well, cutting and catching everything.
* Devin Smith switched his number from 15 to 9 and Evan Spencer continues to wear No. 6. He switched from 16 late last year.
* Corey “Philly” Brown missed most of practice with a minor shin injury, but Meyer said he should be ready for Thursday.
* Sophomore Bri’onte Dunn was the No. 2 tailback ahead of Rod Smith during running back drills.
* Sophomore WR Michael Thomas had an excellent day, running great routes and catching everything in sight.
* Freshman QB J.T. Barrett looked good throwing the ball. He had a sleeve on his knee, but no brace as he recovers from ACL surgery.
* Bradley Roby had a pair of pick-6’s on Tuesday, including one off Braxton Miller where he jumped a slant route by Evan Spencer.
* Junior Curtis Grant took the bulk of the first-team snaps at Mike LB. Joshua Perry was the No. 2 inside backer and also took a few snaps with the ones, while Camren Williams was third in the rotation.
* Sophomore David Perkins replaced Ryan Shazier as the first-team Will LB. Shazier was in a green jersey as he recovers from sports hernia surgery. Walk-on Craig Fada was the second-team Will LB.
* Sophomore Jamal Marcus has been moved from OLB to Leo DE. He was backing up Noah Spence and Steve Miller.
* Redshirt freshman Tyvis Powell was the 1st team Star (nickel back) on Tuesday. Meyer said he earned it during the offseason. Adam Griffin was 2nd team Star and Corey Brown stayed at deep safety.
* Junior Doran Grant was the 1st team corner across from Roby. Freshman Cam Burrows spent most of the day as the 2nd team corner across from sophomore Armani Reeves.
* Junior Joel Hale was the 1st team nose tackle with Michael Bennett working inside at Johnathan Hankins’ old position. Tommy Schutt was behind Bennett, while Chris Carter was the No. 2 nose guard.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.