Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from Meyer on Day 1
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer was quick to downplay any conclusions that might be drawn on the first day of spring practice, but he did have some interesting things to say on Tuesday.
Ohio State’s second-year head coach said they don’t use the words national championship much this time of year, but they do have a sign hanging over the indoor practice field that reads “The Chase…”
He said everyone is chasing something, even if it’s something as small as playing time, but every team in the country is chasing that ultimate goal.
On the Offense…
* Meyer: "I thought Braxton Miller had a heck of a day. I mean a heck of a day." Said his footwork was outstanding today.
* Meyer was happy Braxton went out to work with George Whitfield Jr. because they hadn't worked with him since Friday before "our rival" game.
* Meyer on Jordan Hall: “Boy, was he great today. Didn't bat an eye. He was great.”
* WR Philly Brown left practice with a shin injury but Meyer expects him to be OK for Thursday's practice.
On the Defense…
* Meyer said his biggest concern early on is developing some players in the front seven.
* Meyer: "If we put together a good D-line and linebackers we'll have a good team. If we don't, we won't. It's that simple."
* Meyer called out some young guys on the defensive line. "Last time I checked, you can only redshirt once, it's time to go play."
* Meyer said he still has a lot of hope for Curtis Grant. Said Josh Perry also running with the Mike LBs.
* Meyer said he thought defensive backs Tyvis Powell and Corey "Pittsburgh" Brown had good days.
* Meyer said Powell earned the right to be the 1st team nickel back this spring.
* Meyer said the offensive carry over was very good, but he misses some of his leaders on defense from last year.
* Meyer: "I'm glad Roby came back. You feel stability on the back end. The area where you don't is the front end, but there's talent."
On Punting Situation…
* Meyer said fundamentally Drew Basil might have been their best punter last year. Has a strong leg, needs to be more consistent.
* Meyer mentioned today they were still looking at possibilities for the punter situation from outside the current roster.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.