Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from Tuesday’s Practice
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State was back on the football field Tuesday for what can only be described as a “grown man practice.”
The Buckeyes were flying around, hitting hard and making plays all over the field. Even Braxton Miller took a shot during the winner-loser portion of today’s practice inside the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.
Kenny Guiton led them down the field for the game-winning touchdown, a pass to tight end Nick Vannett in the corner of the end zone, and the defense was forced to run sprints after practice.
Braxton Takes a Big Shot
* Braxton Miller took a brutal hit during the winner/loser scrimmage day today. He was down on the turf for a while.
* It came on an option pitch play to Rod Smith, but Braxton was wearing a protective black jersey. Smith took off for about 15 yards but fumbled the ball at the end of the play.
* He finally sat up and walked off but he was pretty upset at the hit. He had to be restrained by Philly Brown after going over to the defense on the sideline.
* Defensive line coach Mike Vrabel came over to talk to Braxton Miller after the hit, which we believe came from Noah Spence.
* Miller did go back in for one series after the big hit but didn't look as sharp.
* Urban Meyer said Braxton is fine. He got hit during the scrimmage Saturday and was still sore today. That's why he was upset about getting hit again with the black jersey on.
* Meyer said he was happy to see Braxton Miller get up and show some fight instead of just curling up and saying "why did he hit me?"
* Meyer said he likes having a QB who wants to get in a street fight, but that probably wasn't the right time for it.
* RB Jordan Hall was limited again today in an orange jersey. We didn't even see him out there until scrimmage portion, which he did not participate in.
* LB Ryan Shazier was back practicing today. Still had an orange jersey, but he participated in team drills.
* Meyer said OL Antonio Underwood will miss the season with an ACL injury.
* Offense won the winner/loser scrimmage today with a last second TD pass from Kenny Guiton to Nick Vannett.
* Meyer said the defense won the scrimmage on Saturday, but he learned Cardale Jones could play QB at Ohio State. That’s something he didn’t know before.
* Best catch of the day goes to my guy Michael Thomas. Went up and made a great grab with Eli Apple draped all over him.
* Biggest play of the day on offense went to Devin Smith. He beat Armani Reeves 1 on 1 during an all out blitz in the early scrimmage session. He was shoved out at about the five-yard line.
* Offense showed a new diamond/wishbone look today on offense. It was similar to the one the San Francisco 49ers used last year with Colin Kaepernick.
* When OSU went to wishbone look, they had Braxton in the pistol with Warren Ball or Bri’onte Dunn behind him. Rod Smith and Carlos Hyde flanked to Miller’s right and left.
* With Hall out, Chris Fields ran some things out of the slot. Even caught a pitch or two out of the backfield.
* None of the defensive backs could cover Corey "Philly" Brown during 1-on-1 drills, though he didn't face Roby.
* Carlos Hyde, Jack Mewhort and Corey Linsley were held back so they could get other guys some reps.
*With Mewhort/Linsley both getting some rest, Decker played a lot of LT today with Chase Farris at RT and Pat Elflein at center.
* Meyer said Decker/Farris are battling for the starting RT spot, but the surprise has been Elflein. Could shake things up on the O-line.
* Meyer said Decker is probably further ahead right now than Fragel was at this point last spring, but "we'll see if he makes the same jump."
* Meyer said they set a weight limit of 340 for Chris Carter. "If he goes over that he can't play here. It's not safe."
* Armani Reeves had the play of the day on defense, a 60-yard interception return on a deep ball intended for Devin Smith.
* Biggest hit of the day goes to Jamal Marcus. He trucked Brio’nte Dunn so hard that Dunn flew back into Braxton Miller.
* Bradley Roby didn't practice much today during team drills. Instead, they had him coaching the DBs. He did return punts, however.
* Armani Reeves got a lot of practice time with the first-team defense today. Clearly the No. 3 corner behind Roby/Grant.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.