Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from Thursday Interviews
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller is going to have a lot of options to throw the football to this season. We got a chance to talk to a number of them on Thursday after practice No. 10 of the spring.
Here’s a look at what the receivers and tight ends had to say, along with their position coaches.
Braxton’s New ‘Do
* Michael Thomas said Braxton Miller texted him a picture of the new hairdo yesterday morning to see what he thought. Thomas told him he liked it. Just something different that was fun.
* Devin Smith said the new hairdo shows a little bit of Braxton's silly side that most people don't get to see.
* Evan Spencer said he saw a different Braxton Miller this offseason than the year before. Said they were in the WHAC every day throwing.
* Michael Thomas said it was good see the team's best player work on getting better by going out to Cali. Motivates everyone else.
* Thomas said he and Braxton are about as close as anyone on the team. They hang out all the time.
* Philly Brown said Braxton is being more vocal this year. He's also "getting a little Kenny Guiton swag to him.” Brown said he’s locating coverages before they even get into them.
Heading to Cincinnati
* Tim Hinton said Ohio State is very aware that it has to recruit Cincinnati. Contributed to Spring Game going there instead of Cleveland.
* Hinton said they hope by having the Spring Game down in Cincy, it will expose them to more OSU football and get people talking.
* Hinton said they will still host recruits on unofficial visits for Spring Game, hoping it allows some different kids to make it up.
Devin Smith’s Potential
* Zach Smith said even Devin Smith doesn't know how good he can be if he ever reaches his potential.
* Zach Smith said he has seen Devin Smith do things this spring he never did last year. Just understands the game so much better.
* Zach Smith said he has seen Devin Smith had to learn how to get himself open. “If all you are is a deep threat, teams can figure that out.”
* Devin Smith said Urban Meyer is still hard on him at times because he thinks he can be an All-American, but he's not there yet.
* Devin Smith said he feels like he's on a completely different level right now than he was last year.
* Zach Smith also said that he has seen first-hand what Urban Meyer's offense can look like with that hybrid guy. Said it makes a huge difference.
* Zach Smith said they have really high hopes for Dontre Wilson and the other freshmen, but they can't start drawing up plays on hope.
* Zach Smith said it's impossible to predict what an 18 year old kid will be ready for when he gets to college, but it's his job to get them ready.
* Zach Smith said Philly Brown & Chris Fields don't really fit hybrid role because it requires someone who can run inside and run the jet sweep.
* Thomas said the biggest thing that hurt him last year was switching from Z (flanker) to X (split end) in the fall. The positions aren't that different, but Thomas said he suddenly realized he didn't actually know scheme, he only knew his route.
* Thomas had the biggest play of the day at practice Thursday, 42-yard TD catch from Kenny Guiton.
* Thomas said the one thing Braxton always tells him is that he wants him to be the guy who can go up and get it.
* Thomas talks to his uncle Keyshawn Johnson about every day. Johnson tells him to bring energy every day and to dominate.
* Thomas said he has always been praised for his route runner. Said uncle Keyshawn used to work with him on technique.
* Thomas said the one thing uncle Keyshawn told him is to sell every route as a fade. Makes it a lot hard for DBs to predict.
* Zach Smith said he was happy Thomas had to deal with some failure last year because it kept his ego from becoming inflated.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.