Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from Spring Practice No. 11
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State’s 11th practice of the spring was unique for everyone involved.
In a tradition started by Urban Meyer and his staff before last season, the Buckeyes invited students and select family members to join them for a two-hour practice on the outdoor turf fields at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.
Around 2,500 students showed up to watch Braxton Miller and the Buckeyes as they prepare for next week’s spring game in Cincinnati. Here are some quick hitters from this morning’s workout.
* Jordan Hall and Ryan Shazier continue to be limited this spring. Neither practiced much Saturday.
* Rod Smith got his bell rung today and left practice with what looked like a concussion.
* Jacoby Boren and Pat Elflein split reps as the first-team center today. Corey Linsley is resting his injured foot.
* Linsley has been limited all spring as he continues to rehab a foot injury from last season.
* Braxton Miller threw a beautiful 25-yard TD pass to Evan Spencer. Hit him right in the finger tips over top of freshman Cam Burrows.
* Philly Brown made a great catch on a 48-yard bomb from Miller. Had to lay out for it a little bit with Burrows on his back hip.
* Devin Smith had the catch of the day. Got behind Doran Grant and Miller threw it up to him. Made a one-handed bobble catch on the sideline.
* Warren Ball had the run of the day: bounced outside and took off down the left sideline for 45 yards before they caught him inside the five.
* Bri'onte Dunn had a really nice 35-yard on an option pitch play. He made LB Craig Fada miss at the line of scrimmage to break free
* The Buckeyes ran a nice little shovel pass from Miller to Rod Smith today that went for 10-15 yards up the middle.
* Noah Spence looked dominant again today. Felt like he was in the backfield every play.
* Michael Bennett had one of his best practices. He was noticeably disruptive inside. Created a lot of problems.
* WR Michael Thomas was outstanding again today. Caught everything they threw his way, including a nice TD over Eli Apple, who was flagged for pass interference.
* Bri'onte Dunn and Warren Ball both looked good working with the first-team offense at the end of practice.
* Ball scored up the middle in the red zone drill and Dunn scored the game-winning TD on an option pitch from a few yards out.
* QB Cardale Jones didn't get many opportunities today, but he showed me something as a scrambler. Took off for 25 yards one time.
* LB David Perkins had a really good day of practice. Had to get his shin taped, but he was laying some big hits out there.
* DB Tyvis Powell was laying the wood out there today. Had a really nice stick on Devin Smith, but Smith held on to the ball.
* Powell also had a monster hit on TE Jeff Heuerman. He made the catch, but Heuerman was a little shaken up after.
* QB Kenny Guiton had a few nice scrambles today, but he took a shot from Adam Griffin on one of them. Came up holding his ribs, but he was OK.
* Chris Carter had a big time hit on Warren Ball in the red zone. Starting to see a little something with Big Hungry.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.