Two-Minute Drill: Quick Hitters from Tuesday’s Practice
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes hit the practice field for their most intense day of the spring on Tuesday. It was red zone, goal line, inside run with a lot of hitting.
Because of the weather, Urban Meyer and his team were indoors yet again at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Here are some quick hitters from Tuesday’s practice.
* Meyer said Corey “Pittsburgh” Brown impressed him today. He had the game-winning stop during goal line drill.
* Meyer said Noah Spence, Adolphus Washington and Michael Bennett also looked good today.
* Meyer said Bennett is 5-for-6 this spring in grading the day, which is big for him. Hadn’t strung together three good days in a row before that.
* Spence looked unblockable again today, though Taylor Decker did a nice job with him after getting torched initially.
* At first, Spence was blowing past Decker & Jack Mewhort. His outside-in move is already unstoppable. Going to make a lot of OT's look foolish.
Offense Makes Big Plays
* The big play on offense was a 90-yard touchdown pass from Braxton Miller to Jeff Heuerman, who got behind safety C.J. Barnett.
* The pass Braxton threw to Heuerman for the 90yd TD was a thing of beauty. Perfect touch into his outstretched fingertips.
* If he put anything less on it, Barnett would have gotten a finger on it to break up the pass. Instead, Heuerman caught it and took off down the middle.
* Meyer can see a noticeable improvement in Braxton Miller this spring. Said he's behind as a QB because he was forced to play two years ago.
* Chris Fields looked pretty good today. He had a 70-yard TD catch out of a play-action on 4th and 1.
* The defense was caught napping and Fields beat Corey "Pittsburgh" Brown to the corner.
* Meyer said the opportunity is going to be there for Rod Smith this year. He knows it, now it's on him to make the most of it. Smith was working with the twos, ahead of Bri’onte Dunn on Tuesday.
* LB Ryan Shazier still not back out there yet. He worked on the side as he continues to recover from offseason surgery.
* DT Tommy Schutt suffered a minor ankle sprain during practice and spent the rest of the day working with the twos. Joel Hale slid up to the ones.
* Meyer said Jordan Hall is still battling the hamstring injury, but he also had some academic issues he has to take care of first.
* LB Josh Perry was with the twos, but had to leave practice because of asthma.
* Saw WR Michael Thomas early on but he did not take part in the bulk of practice today.
* They didn't ask Hyde, Roby or Devin Smith to do much at practice today during scrimmages. They know what they have with those guys
Finding a Star
* Withers said offenses are so advanced these days, he feels like they need to have more options to get speed/coverage on the field.
* Withers said they would have liked to have the option to play more nickel/dime last season against spread offense. Now they will.
* They want someone at Star who can cover but also play physical. That's where Tyvis Powell fits in.
* Withers told me he thinks Vonn Bell could be another guy at the star position this fall.
* Corey "Pitt" Brown said Withers texted him after Saturday's scrimmage to let him know he had better step up his game if he wants to play.
* Withers said he told Brown he wasn't good enough on Saturday to beat out guys like Tyvis Powell and Vonn Bell.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.