Two-Minute Drill: Herman, Braxton Talk Offense
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller looked like a professional tossing free t-shirts into the crowd at Value City Arena Thursday night.
Don’t worry, he didn’t keep any for himself.
What Miller did walk away with Thursday was the coveted Silver Football Award handed out by The Chicago Tribune. Determined by the Big Ten head football coaches, the Silver Football has been presented annually since 1924, when Illinois’ star Red Grange was the award's first recipient.
Miller was honored during a timeout at the Ohio State-Northwestern basketball game in Columbus. We had a chance to catch up with the junior signal caller, along with OSU offensive coordinator Tom Herman, to talk about the team’s offense heading in 2013.
One thing Herman did say was he thought the Buckeyes might have been “the most flawed undefeated team in college football history” last season. He said it was a testament to the players they were able to go undefeated in 2012.
On Braxton’s Big Offseason…
* Herman on their message to Braxton Miller since they had to miss the 15 bowl practice: “We have to make it up somehow.”
* Herman said OSU did not ask Miller to spend time with QB guru George Whitfield in California, so it was good to see him take the initiative.
* Herman said he thinks Braxton got the idea of going to work with Whitfield from spending time with Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.
* Herman said primary focus for Braxton this offseason is his mechanics: “When he's good, he's really good. When he's bad, he's really bad.”
* Herman said Braxton can also grow leaps and bounds in his awareness and understanding on the field.
* Herman said he thinks some of J.T. Barrett's natural leadership ability will rub off on Braxton. Called Braxton a sponge.
* Herman said he's not even allowed to look at Braxton until spring if there's a football in the room. NCAA rules.
* Braxton Miller said he's been at the WHAC every day this offseason throwing with the WRs and TEs.
On 2013 Offense…
* Braxton Miller's eyes lit up when asked if he was excited to see some of the offensive guys they signed this month: "Heck, yeah."
* Herman reiterated the fact they aren't counting very heavily on the newcomers to be a big factor: "That's a luxury in my mind."
* Herman said the primary focus is on developing the guys who are here now, not the guys they can't work with until August.
* Herman said the new skill guys could allow them to do some different things on offense, but "our best offense is the one that wins."
* Herman said he is fine with putting four tight ends out there if those are the four best players.
* Herman said Urban Meyer and his offensive staff have been watching cutups of their offense from last season to figure out where they need to improve.
* Herman was asked about the punting situation. Responded with a smirk: “Don't worry, we'll figure something out.”
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.