Two-Minute Drill: Meyer on OSU Media Day
By Brandon Castel
Cornerback Najee Murray is still on the roster, at least for now.
Exactly what his future will hold no one knows for certain, however, Urban Meyer said Sunday the redshirt freshman from Steubenville has been suspended from team activities, not removed from the roster as some previous reports had indicated.
Meyer called it a “training camp issue” but did not elaborate on whether Murray would be allowed to return to the team during preseason, or even once the season began. He also didn’t give the impression Murray was on the verge of being kicked out of the program either.
It’s something to keep an eye on certainly, but Meyer had a lot of other interesting things to say during Ohio State’s football media day in Columbus.
* Meyer announced freshman defensive lineman Donovan Munger has qualified academically and will be in Columbus on Wednesday, but he won't play this fall because of a blood clot.
* Meyer said center Corey Linsley is still limited by a foot injury.
* Linebacker Curtis Grant has been missing from practice over the last week because of a concussion.
Latest on Braxton
* Meyer said Braxton Miller is much further ahead mechanically and with his comfort in the pocket this fall.
* Meyer on Braxton: "That's a special player." Said he and Tom Herman have something special going right now.
* Meyer said Evan Spencer is having his best camp. "Much different player than he was a year ago."
* Meyer said there is a lot of talent in the RB room. "There is not a 'miss' in that group." Said Rod Smith is having an excellent camp.
* Meyer said they didn't have an H-back at all last year. "Philly's a good player, but he's a receiver.” He said that whole part of the offense didn't exist. It turned them into a pro-style offense last year. Not much spread/read.
* Meyer said the offense will look much different this year than it did last year; much more of a spread/read element.
* Meyer says Taylor Decker has solidified himself as the starting right tackle. "If we had a game tomorrow, he would be out there."
* Meyer said Curtis Grant is the starting MLB right now with freshman Mike Mitchell as the backup at Mike. Josh Perry is the Sam LB.
* Meyer on kick return game: "There's a plethora. We're good there." Mentioned Jordan Hall, Bradley Roby, Dontre Wilson and James Clark.
* Meyer said he expects Joey Bosa to play this season. They're using him both inside and outside.
* Dontre Wilson lost his black stripe yesterday. Ezekiel Elliott was close but fumbled late in practice.
* Urban is asked if Dontre Wilson brings something the offense didn't have last year. His answer? "Oh my gosh..."
* Meyer said Wilson is a RB not a WR, but he brings a lot more to the table with his quickness and ability to get to the 2nd level.
* Meyer said he's not sure Wilson's skill set is perfect for the H-back because he's more of a RB.
* Meyer said freshman Gareon Conley could see the field this year. Said Evan Lisle probably not ready physically to play this year.
* Meyer on redshirts: "If you don't play it's because you're not good enough, not because we're saving you."
* Meyer said he's starting to feeling leadership from Braxton, Shazier, Barnett, Bryant, and the offensive line.
* Meyer on Ohio State: "It's a special place. I want them to own it, not rent it."
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.