Two-Minute Drill: Urban Meyer and Gary Andersen on the B1G Teleconference
by Tony Gerdeman
This Big Ten Coaches Teleconference took place on Tuesday, and both Urban Meyer and Gary Andersen spoke about their matchup this week.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said it's a chance to play against the Big Ten's Rose Bowl representative of the past few years, so it's a big opportunity.
* He said that this is a big recruiting weekend. Night games allow players to actually get to the game and watch it. They have a bunch of official visits this weekend and this is a great chance to showcase the Ohio Stadium atmosphere. He said the recruits will get to be down on the field to experience the pregame and postgame festivities.
* Meyer said that when he was here as a grad assistant, this was not a big rivalry, but it is now.
* He said he can't imagine two better backs on the same team than what Wisconsin has.
* Meyer said that there is no package where both Kenny Guiton and Braxton Miller will be on the field at the same time. He did say that they want both of them to play on Saturday. He said it's a blessing to have two quarterbacks like this, but it just has to be handled the right away.
* He said this will always be a power running team, but he likes what the OSU athletes have done in space.
* Meyer said that Curtis Grant is built for this game. He said that it is without question the defining moment in his career. He said he's earned it, he's worked for it, and they have confidence in him.
* He reiterated that if Braxton Miller has a great week of practice, then he'll start, but those decisions will be made later in the week.
* Meyer said that he is very pleased with his running backs right now. He said that he likes where they are right now. He said Ezekiel Elliott will be very good at Ohio State down the line. He said this is as comfortable with a running back group as he has had in many, many years.
* He said there is no plan yet for who will be carrying the ball. Thursday and Friday will be when that decision is made.
* He was asked if the current winning streak gives them momentum. He said maybe on a Sunday after a game, that will come up, but when you're working to win a game the rest of the week, the winning streak never comes up. He said to win this many games in a row is not normal. It took a lot of work to get to that point.
Gary Andersen Updates
* Andersen called Ohio State a “tremendous football team”, he noted their speed and their fast starts in the first quarter. He said he doesn't think he's ever seen a stat like OSU's first-quarter scoring in all his years as a coach.
* He said that playing against an athletic quarterback forces you to jeopardize your coverages because you have to bring in safeties to help defend the threat of the run.
* Andersen said that running back Melvin Gordon is up there with the best running backs he's ever been around. He called him a speed back, a power back and a patient back.
* On OSU's two quarterbacks: ”They're both great quarterbacks, without question.” He said that it's amazing that they have two quarterbacks as good as they do.
* He said they're still looking for a second receiver to step up and be a playmaker for them.
* Andersen called linebacker Chris Borland the catalyst of Wisconsin's defense. He said he leads them on and off the field.
* He said that preparing for both quarterbacks this week isn't as much of an issue because there isn't a change in scheme. Both quarterbacks have the ability to run the offense very well. It won't change how they prepare at all this week.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.