Two Minute Drill: Updates from Wednesday's Post-Practice Interviews
By Tony Gerdeman
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer met with the media Wednesday evening after practice to provide updates on his team, most specifically quarterback Braxton Miller and his current health status.
Urban Meyer Updates
* Meyer said that Braxton Miller will play, and as long as he continues to practice like he is, he will start the game against Wisconsin. He said he has taken the bulk of the first-team reps in practice this week. He said you can't even tell that Miller was injured.
* Meyer confirmed reports that Ohio State will wear the same rivalry uniform that the team wore last year against Michigan. There are slight changes, but the look is basically the same.
* Asked what happens if Miller starts and stays hot, how would they get Kenny Guiton into the game, Meyer said that it's hard to say. As he's stated in the past, it's more of a “feel” as to how that situation is handled.
* Meyer said that Adolphus Washington is back and will play, and they need him to play against Wisconsin's rushing attack.
Jack Mewhort Updates
* Mewhort said that he's not worried about the quarterback situation because he has confidence in both guys, and knows that they can both produce.
* He said that the Wisconsin game is a classic smashmouth game that is a lot of fun. He said that with Wisconsin moving to the West Division next year, the younger players will miss out on what has been a great rivalry.
Nick Vannett Updates
* Vannett said that because of the number of every-down players they have at the skill positions, defenses don't really know what to expect, or the best way to defend them.
* He said he loves night games and wished that every game was a night game. He called the atmosphere “electric”. He said that every night game is big, but it's even bigger when it's a Big Ten game.
* Vannett said that Braxton Miller has done everything that he's been asked to do this weekend and he's excited to have him back.
* He said that he's excited to wear the rivalry uniforms this week. He said the helmets were shinier and flashy. He said that you play better when you know you look good.
Bradley Roby Updates
* Roby said that this was definitely a rivalry game given the close games they've had over the years. He also said that Wisconsin took their opportunity to play in the Big Ten Championship Game last year, so they haven't forgotten that either. He said that Wisconsin took something “that was ours”.
* He said as a cornerback, even though Wisconsin runs the ball a lot, you still have to make sure you're ready when they do pass. He said their play-action is very effective, and receiver Jared Abbrederis runs great routes, so you have to always be aware. He said they lull you to sleep with the run, then attack you downfield.
* He said the Wisconsin offense hasn't changed much. He said smashmouth football is fun and that's why they play football.
* Roby said that he loves night games because nobody else is playing and everybody is watching you. He also said the atmosphere is great because the fans have time to get drunk.
* He said it's cool to wear different uniforms. It makes you play a little better and makes you feel like you can kill the other team.
* Roby said that Braxton Miller looks good and that he'll be ready for Saturday's game.
* He said that he thinks he's played okay this season, but what's really important is to play well down the stretch.
* On Wisconsin quarterback Joel Steve, he said, “Any time we can make him throw it, that's what we want.”
* He said this game was one of the reasons he wanted to return for his junior season.
Noah Spence Updates
* Spence said they have been preparing for a physical game on Saturday, including mental preparation. He said you just have to be ready to be pounded on for an entire game.
* He said the defense will have to be sound fundamentally, and this game will depend a lot on technique and filling their assignments.
* Spence said that practice this week has been physical and has had more hitting than normal. He said the coaches were even trying to get them to hit each other a bit more.
* He said that Braxton Miller looks “really good”.
* He said Adolphus Washington looks good as well, and he's talked to him over the last couple of weeks about keeping his head up because the defense needs him when he gets back.
* As far as the Wisconsin rivalry is concerned, Spence said that this game is “just another game to me”, citing the fact that he's just a sophomore. He added that he's trying not to make too much of it so that he doesn't get nervous before the game.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.