OSU vs. Duke Game Notes
No. 2 Ohio State 85 (7-0), No. 3 Duke 63 (7-1)
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Nov. 29, 2011
- The win vs. Duke (its first loss of the season) was the 29th-consecutive victory at home for Ohio State, dating back to a 66-55 win over Michigan Feb. 27, 2010. The 28 wins in a row tie the 2006-07 Buckeyes for the third-longest streak in history.
- With the win, Ohio State has now defeated two AP Top 10 non-conference opponents at home this season for the first time in history.
- The Buckeyes move to 3-3 all-time vs. Duke and improve to 38-26 all-time vs. members of the ACC.
- Ohio State moved to 5-5 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge with four-consecutive wins.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 402-108 overall and when ranked in the AP Top 10, the Buckeyes are 280-59.
- When ranked in the Top 3 of the Associated Press, Ohio State is 138-20.
- As the AP No. 2 ranked team in the nation, Ohio State improved to 35-8 overall.
- Since the 2009-10 season, the Buckeyes are 44-1 at Value City Arena.
- Against non-conference opponents, Ohio State is 87-5 (.945) at Value City Arena and 149-23 overall.
- In their last 60 games, the Scarlet and Gray are 55-5.
- This is the 269th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
- The Buckeyes began the first half on an 11-0 run and ended on a 13-2 run.
- In the first half, Ohio State scored on every offensive rebound (10 points on five rebounds).
- Ohio State ended Duke’s November win streak. Duke’s last loss in November was in 2006 vs. Marquette.
- The loss vs. Ohio State was only Coach Krzyzewski’s 16th in 65 career games vs. Big Ten opponents.
- The loss vs. Ohio State was Duke’s worst vs. a Big Ten school since losing by 25 vs. Michigan State during the 1958-59 season.
- Matta improved his career record to 299-88 overall and 197-57 at Ohio State.
- With the win, Matta has now defeated the Top 2 winningest coaches in men’s Division I history. Matta previously defeated Bob Knight’s Texas Tech team on 12/16/04 in Dallas, Texas, 77-71.
- With the win, Ohio State is 39-5 in November under Coach Matta.
- Matta is now 1-1 vs. Duke and 5-3 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- Ohio State is now 130-23 (.849) overall at Value City Arena and 126-10 under Matta.
- Ohio State improves to 117-17 under Matta when grabbing more rebounds than its opponent. The Buckeyes out-rebounded Duke 33-27.
- The Buckeyes are 165-20 under Matta when leading at the half.
- Ohio State is 182-5 under Matta when leading with five minutes to play.
- When shooting a better percentage than the opponent, Ohio State improves to 174-18 under Matta.
- When shooting 50 percent or better from the field, the Buckeyes are 97-7 under Matta.
- With 85 points, the Buckeyes are 135-11 under Matta when scoring more than 70 total points in a game.
- The Buckeyes improve to 166-45 when limiting themselves to under 15 total turnovers (Ohio State had 10 turnovers vs. the Blue Devils).
- The start was Buford’s 105th donning the Scarlet and Gray, tying Jim Smith for 10th most in Ohio State history.
- William Buford scored 20 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,550 and passing Jon Diebler (1,536) for 13th place all-time in Ohio State career scoring. He is 16 behind Terrence Dials (1,566) for 12th place.
- Buford had five rebounds while passing the 500 rebound milestone for his career (502). He now joins 15 former Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
- Buford had four assist. He now has 280 for his career.
- Sullinger had a game-high 21 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 41st time he has scored in double figures in his career.
- Sullinger had eight rebounds. He now has 449 as a Buckeye.
- With 17 points, Craft now has 328 for his career. It’s the fifth time this season and 14th time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- Craft had one steal. He has 94 for his career.
- Craft had eight assists to push his career total to 218.
- Thomas had 18 points. It is the 17th time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- It is also the six-consecutive game Thomas has scored in double figures.
- Thomas missed his first two shots of the game but followed with seven-consecutive made field goals.
- Thomas scored the final nine points in the first half.
Season Stats Year to Date
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.