Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Postgame at Cameron Indoor
By Brandon Castel
DURHAM, N.C. — Ohio State had its chances Wednesday, and even had the lead at halftime.
The Buckeyes weathered the storm and overcame a crazy environment in an arena that can often intimidate the most battle-tested opponents. But there’s a reason Duke has won 96 straight nonconference games in Cameron Indoor Arena, and it showed in the second half.
The Buckeyes coughed up the lead in the final minutes and couldn’t find the offense to get it back in a 73-68 loss to the No. 2-ranked Blue Devils.
Here’s a look at what OSU head coach Thad Matta and his players had to say after the loss, along with comments from Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski.
* Matta said he thought LaQuinton Ross gave them reality good minutes. Probably should have gotten him in there sooner.
* Matta said Shannon Scott got a little tired at the end of the first half because he played a lot.
* Matta said Duke was not willing to come off Deshaun Thomas. They were giving Aaron Craft whatever looks he wanted.
* Matta said coming in they felt the only real weakness Duke had was defending guards on penetration off the high screen.
* Thomas said they wanted to get him the ball, but Duke was keeping two guys with him off the high screen.
* Craft told me they weren't really even guarding him on those because they wouldn't leave Deshaun.
* Craft was obviously disappointed with the way he played down the stretch. Felt he let the team down.
Coach K on Ohio State
* Krzyzewski said Ohio State played a physical defense. They haven't faced a defense like that yet this year.
* Krzyzewski on Sulaimon: "Rasheed is as good a freshman as there is in the country."
* Krzyzewski said they were a good team last year, but they're a much better team this year. Older, more athletic.
* Krzyzewski: "The crowd was sensational. That helped our guys to hear all the excitement throughout the day."
* Krzyzewski: "They were being more physical than us, not fouling us, but I attribute that to schedule we just had."
* Craft: "We were up 5 with 8 minutes to play. We'll take that every time, especially in this place."
* Craft said this was one of the toughest environments he's ever played in, but it didn't help that they gave up 50pts in a half.
* Shannon Scott and Craft said the positive of this game is they know they can play with anyone in the country.
* Craft said he knows there's a long season ahead, but he'll think about this for a while. Always takes the losses hard.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.