Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State’s Postgame
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio State Buckeyes closed out the regular season with a 68-55 win over Illinois. That’s a 36-point swing from the team’s 19-point loss in Champaign earlier this year.
The Buckeyes also lost by 22 at Wisconsin, but they have since rattled off five straight victories. Ohio State clinched the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye in the Big Ten Tournament and will face either Purdue or Nebraska in the quarterfinals.
They could also tie Indiana and Michigan (and Michigan State) for the regular season title if the Wolverines can knock off the No. 2-ranked Hoosiers in Ann Arbor this afternoon.
Until then, here’s a look at what Thad Matta and his players had to say after the game Sunday on Senior Day in Columbus.
Cheering for Michigan
* Aaron Craft on whether he will watch the Indiana-Michigan game: "They play today? I think we all have school work to do."
* Craft on whether he's rooting for Michigan today: "I have no idea what you're talking about, sir."
* Craft refused to comment on rooting for Michigan. Said it's out of their hands now so he can't spend too much time worrying about it.
* Thomas on watching Michigan game today: "I might check it out a little bit."
* Matta on watching UM game: "I'll be honest with you. There's an old saying, the hay is in the barn. There's not a thing I can do." Joked if the sun is still up, he might go fishing.
* Matta on Ravenel's Senior Day: "I told him to relax, it's all good man. He made some huge plays for us down the stretch."
* Deshaun Thomas' teammates turned to look at him when he's asked about his future. Thomas aid he won't think about decision until after tournament.
* Matta: "I'm going to say the obvious, we didn't have it for the first 12 minutes."
* John Groce said most critical sequence of the game was Ohio State's 12-2 run to close out the first half.
* Groce: "Deshaun Thomas made difficult shots and he can do that. He's an All-American candidate."
* Groce said he thought Deshaun Thomas did a good job countering their trap. Made a few nice passes in the first half.
* Groce said he could tell the Buckeyes were playing really well as of late. Playing their best basketball right now.
* Craft: "The fun is about to start. Win or go home. We're playing well, but it's anyone's game when you get in these tournaments."
* Matta said he wants to go home and relax and reflect before thinking back about the season.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.