Two-Minute Drill: Buckeyes Not Thinking Revenge Against Kansas
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Thad Matta knows his players are well aware of what Saturday’s game against Kansas is all about. It was the Jayhawks who knocked the Buckeyes out of the NCAA Tournament back in March, for their second victory of the year over Ohio State.
Despite the sting of that defeat down in New Orleans, Lenzelle Smith, Jr. and his teammates say this game is about the Buckeyes and not about revenge for what happened in the Final Four.
* Lenzelle Smith said it's a huge relief not to face Thomas Robinson, but teams are different this year. Expects a whole different ball game than the two meetings last year.
* Smith said he's been waiting for this game against Kansas since the schedule came out in the summer.
* Smith said the main reason he circled this game was because he knew Kansas would be a really good team. Great test for the Buckeyes.
* Smith said "hands down" the toughest team will win in this game on Saturday.
* Smith said basketball isn't always about size, it comes down to heart and the will to win.
* Matta said team has really grown together since the Duke game. Heading in the right direction. "Hopefully we're a better basketball team."
* Smith said Jeff Withey allows Kansas to get easy baskets in transition. His blocks turn into baskets at the other end.
* Matta said there aren't as many great shot-blockers in college basketball anymore. Withey probably the best in the country.
* Matta said no way to really prepare for Withey's shot-blocking ability. Guys need to have awareness, but important thing is to keep playing.
* Matta said Jayhawks are tremendous in transition because they're long, athletic and outstanding finishers at the basket.
* Matta said the keys to limiting Kansas' fastbreak is taking smart shots, rebounding and taking care of the ball.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.