Two-Minute Drill: Matta, Players Recap NKU Win
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Thad Matta and his players had some interesting things to say after the Buckeyes beat Northern Kentucky University 70-43 on Saturday.
So did NKU coach Dave Bezold. Here’s a recap of the postgame press conferences at Value City Arena in Columbus.
Bouncing Back from Duke
* Deshaun Thomas said they didn't come out shooting the ball well tonight, but the key was staying together.
* Sam Thompson said the motto the last few days was that this team got punched in the mouth. Coach Matta wanted to see their toughness.
* Matta said the No. 1 thing he wanted to see is if they would get up off the mat and have some fight.
LaQuinton Ross Provides Spark
* Matta said extended minutes for LaQuinton Ross were partially because they need his offense, partially because he's improving on D.
* Matta said Ross had a tremendous practice yesterday and felt he was going to play great today.
* Matta said he absolutely sees similarities between Ross now and Deshaun Thomas two years ago.
* Ross said the coaches pushed him in practice to have his feet ready to shoot tonight.
* Thomas said it will help a lot if Q can play like that because teams are going to double him.
* Ross said coach Matta told them he's not going to be like he was in the past where he sticks with 5-6 guys. Wants to play more.
* Ross said he was shocked by how quickly the guy closed on his shot at Duke, but now he knows.
* Ross said he loves playing in big games and that experience at Duke will help him next time, for sure.
Bezold Talks Buckeyes
* NKU coach Dave Bezold said they wanted to force the ball to the middle and make OSU settle for jump shots. Never help off Thomas.
* Bezold said they wanted to put 6 or 7 guys on Deshaun, but they're not allowed.
* Bezold said Craft changed the game defensively in the second half. Disrupted their offensive flow.
* Bezold said they thought about taking Craft's man and standing him down in the corner away from the ball.
More from Matta
* Matta at to his team at halftime: "You have to put the ball in the basket." Thought his team got good looks.
* Matta said the next step for Thomas is to recognize what teams are doing to him and then adjust.
* Matta said he's always liked to have an offensive and defensive guy come off the bench to provide a spark.
* Matta said Craft was as good defensively today as he's ever seen him. Not worried about his shots not going in.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.