Two-Minute Drill: Matta Previews Tournament, Talks Recruiting
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio State men’s basketball team signed a pair of recruits to National Letters of Intent on Wednesday.
The Buckeyes will welcome forward Marc Loving (Toledo St. Johns) and guard Kameron Williams (Baltimore) for the start of the 2013-14 season. OSU head coach Thad Matta spoke about that and more during his midweek press conference.
Matta Talks Recruiting
* Matta said he's excited about both guys they signed today. Said Loving was 6-6 when he committed and he's about 6-9 now.
* Matta said Kameron Williams was exactly what he was looking for this summer. Finds ways to score in a variety of ways.
* Matta said he doesn't know if you could name another college program that had one senior on the roster for two straight years.
* Matta said he could not be happier with the two basketball players they signed. Expects 2014 to be another big class.
* Matta not concerned about the misses in recruiting: "We know what we're doing."
* Matta said wherever a kid is from, he's trying to find the right fit for the Ohio State University. "This program isn't for everybody."
* Matta: "I'd love to recruit Upper Arlington or whatever is on my way home, but we have to go where the players are."
* Matta said they are still looking at the possibility of adding another player to this class. Hinted it would be a big man.
Matta on the Buckeyes
* Matta said playing two games in two days on a neutral site will tell him a lot about this team.
* Matta: "If this team does not play solid defense we're not going to be what we're supposed to be, or what we want to be."
* Matta said this early in the season, experience is going to win. Can cover up for mistakes.
* Matta said Amedeo Della Valle practiced yesterday and he's available this weekend.
* Matta on whether he would accept another invite to Carrier Classic: "I want to play on a submarine next year."
* Lenzelle Smith said he went into halftime of the Albany game feeling like he was being too passive, too much like last year.
* Evan Ravenel said Chris Jent coached Dwight Howard and Shaq, which obviously captures their attention. Told the bigs to be more aggressive.
* Ravenel said they rebound well at the offensive end, but they give up too many offensive boards at the other end. "It's a want thing."
* Lenzelle said he used to tell Jared to get out of the way if he sees him coming for a rebound, since Jared was going to get his anyway.
* Lenzelle said they are still trying to find out who they are as a team. In the beginning stages.
* Ravenel said coach Matta told his players he finally has the depth he's wanted and he plans to use his bench this year.
* Ravenel: "If we want to meet the same goals we've met the last few years, we have to be the best defensive team in the country."
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.