Two-Minute Drill: Buckeyes Know Kansas on Horizon
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State coach Thad Matta will wait until after his team’s game on Tuesday night before he really starts thinking about Kansas. That doesn’t mean Matta’s players have forgotten about last year, or the way things ended down in New Orleans.
“Our guys know Kansas ended our season last year,” Matta said during his press conference on Monday.
“They know the storied history of that program.”
Rock Talk, Jayhawk
* Deshaun Thomas said Matta is stressing one game at a time. Trying not to look ahead to Kansas yet.
* Deshaun said he still thinks about Kansas a lot. It's going to motivate him to play hard and get the win.
* Deshaun said one thing he learned during Kansas game last year was about playing with balance on defense. Be aggressive, but with balance.
* Matta: "I don't know where Kansas is ranking-wise, but I know they're a heck of a basketball team."
* Sam Thompson said this team has improved offensive execution over the last two weeks, especially with guys being ready to score.
* Thompson credited Deshaun with doing a better job of recognizing the double-team and making the extra pass to find an open guy.
* Deshaun: "When I was a freshman, I just came in and jacked shots. Next thing I knew, I was on the bench."
* Matta said as a coach you want perfection, but never going to get there. Doing things better in practice.
* Matta said when Sam Thompson comes in and gets extra shooting in practice, he tends to shoot well in games.
* Matta sets the shot clock to 22 seconds late in practice to speed things up. "We've gone 12 before, that's when I knew Michael Conley was a pro."
* Deshaun said he actually asked coach Matta to let him guard Keith Hornsby on Saturday against UNC Asheville. Then Craft said he wanted him.
* Deshaun said there were a lot of things they learned in the Duke game over the final six minutes. "It's about finishing the game."
* Deshaun said he had to work on defensive rebounding. "Everyone knew I was going to offensive rebound because, hey, it's offense."
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.