Two-Minute Drill: Matta, Buckeyes Celebrate Win over Wisconsin
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State missed nine of its first 10 shots Tuesday night. They won the game anyway.
The 11th-ranked Buckeyes shot 64 percent from the floor in the second half of a 58-49 win over visiting Wisconsin. The win keeps OSU in the hunt for a Big Ten Championship with trips to Nebraska and Michigan coming in the next week.
Here’s a look at what Thad Matta and his players had to say during the postgame at Value City Arena.
Tail of Two Halves
* Deshaun Thomas said they were expecting a low scoring game because that’s what Wisconsin likes, but they executed well down the stretch.
* Thomas said Matta told them to be aggressive and play their style in the second half. Speed up the tempo, get out in transition.
* This was Ohio State's first win of the season when trailing at half. The Buckeyes had been 0-3 previously (vs. Kansas, at Illinois, at Michigan State).
Thomas Takes Over
* Thomas: "I was just in attack mode. I was just being ready and reading my defensive man. It felt really good."
* Matta said Thomas was exhausted the last five minutes of the game. Took a full timeout to get him some extra rest.
* Matta said last year Thomas would have "shut it down" on the defensive end when he got tired so he could save it for offense. He didn't do that tonight.
* Matta called this one of Deshaun’s best games: "Without a doubt this (game) is right there at the top because of his overall effectiveness."
* Thomas taking 16 twos and one three tonight wasn't by design. They started to go with what was working.
* Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan told reporters Deshaun Thomas is the best player they have faced this season.
* Ryan said they wanted to take away Deshaun's three point shot, but he burned them with his midrange game tonight.
* LaQuinton Ross: "Tonight coach gave me the minutes, so I had to step up."
* Deshaun said Ross hitting shots is another piece to the puzzle. Helps the team a lot.
* Ross said biggest area he has grown is listening. Said he was rebellious against what the coaches were saying because he wasn't playing.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.