Two Minute Drill - American U Post-game
By Rob Ogden
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio State moved to 4-0 on the season with a 63-59 win over American Wednesday night. Amir Williams scored a career-high 16 points to lead all scorers. After the game, Williams, coach Thad Matta and others spoke to the media. Here are the highlights.
Thad Matta Updates
* Matta said American's offensive style played a role in the Eagles sticking around as long as they did.
* He said the offense was a bit off. "Our transition wasn't good, we were running on top of each other, we were bobbling passes. We didn't have it at the level we needed to have it," he said.
* Matta said all the missed shots in the first half gave him deja vu back to Saturday, when the Buckeyes scored just 19 first-half points against Marquette.
* Matta said Amir Williams is more energized and aggressive than he's ever been. He added that Williams has been dominant in practice.
* Matta said the biggest difference in Williams this year is his ability to sustain his energy throughout practice.
* He said Williams needs to continue to challenge himself. Matta said what separates the great players is their ability to "attack" instead of backing off when they experience success.
* He said shooting can be contagious, and said it seemed like no one could knock down an open look.
* Matta said the team lacked the confidence needed to step up and knock down open shots.
* Matta said they have shot the ball well in practice, but for whatever reason, it hasn't translated to the games.
* He said he's puzzled by the play of LaQuinton Ross, who sat for the majority of the second half for the second-consecutive game. Matta said he's confident Ross will get back to playing great basketball "sooner than later."
Shannon Scott Updates
* Scott said he caught the guard off guard on the steal and score to open the second half. "He didn't see me coming so I just stuck in there."
* Scott said he has a better attitude this season than he has in the past. He said he knows he has to be one of the guy that can make plays.
* He said they got good looks in the first half, they just weren't knocking them down.
* Scott said they played great defense at times, but then let up at times as well, as they have done in the past.
* He said Sam Thompson's dunks energize the entire team. He said it gets them amped up to play great defense on the next possession.
Amir Williams Updates
* Williams said his improvement can be traced back to the work he did during the offseason.
* He said he becomes more confident with each shot he makes.
American coach Mike Brennan Updates
* Brennan said the 27 turnovers and difference in rebound margin played a big role in why American lost the game. He added that Ohio State is a good team. "They've got a lot of weapons," he said.
* He said he thought the Buckeyes were well prepared for the Princeton-style offense that American runs, that playing against the Northwestern teams coached by Bill Carmody has probably done a lot to prepare them.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.