Two Minute Drill - Delaware Post-game
By Rob Ogden
COLUMBUS, Ohio - No. 2 Ohio State moved to 11-0 Wednesday night with a 76-64 win over Delaware. LaQuinton Ross led all scorers with 19 points and four other Buckeyes finished in double figures. After the game, coach Thad Matta and others spoke to the media. Here are the highlights.
Thad Matta Updates
* Matta said they had practiced very well in the days leading up to the game, so he was puzzled by the slow start.
* Matta said they have to have "the juice" in order to play well. He said the only guy who played well in the first few minutes was Aaron Craft.
* He said the difference in the game was the 12-0 run that the Buckeyes went on to end the half.
* Matta said the difference between good teams and great teams is the ability to find a way to play well even on off nights.
* He said missed shots on the offensive end of the floor could have led to uninspired defense on the other end. "We need to get that corrected," he said. "Our defense has to be what carries us."
* Matta said Amedeo Della Valle is giving them exactly what they expected out of him right now. After Della Valle went coast-to-coast for a lay-in and was fouled near the end of the first half, Matta told him, "You better make the free throw."
* He said Sam Thompson was especially active on defense, which is why he played 30 minutes despite some shooting struggles.
Aaron Craft Updates
* Craft said some of the missed layups early on might have affected the team's confidence in the opening minutes of the game.
* He said they weren't connected on defense, and that Delaware's hot start offensively made them a little hesitant to help off certain people. He added that the early foul trouble took them out of their flow a little bit.
* He said as seniors, he and Lenzelle Smith Jr. need to do a better job of getting the rest of the guys ready for games.
* Craft said the bench saved them by coming in with great energy.
* He said they can't take these early season games for granted. "We're playing basketball at Ohio State," he said. " We want to make the most out of every opportunity."
* Craft said whenever they are able to go on a big run, it was usually started by their defense.
* On the opportunity to play in Madison Square Garden Saturday, Craft said, "It's gonna be great, but we're there to play a basketball game. When we come in tomorrow we have to have our mind right. It's gonna be a great atmosphere at a great venue. We don't want to take the opportunity for granted."
Amir Williams Updates
* Williams said he had to be smart defensively in order to avoid picking up any more fouls while playing with three early in the second half. He said a lot of it is about trusting his teammates.
* He said they knew Delaware was a good rebounding team, so rebounding was a focus coming into the game. The Buckeyes out rebounded the Blue Hens 46-30.
Delaware coach Monte Ross
* Ross said his team "stood toe-to-toe" with the best team in the country.
* He said he thinks some of his players have been gun-shy on defense because of the new hand-check rules.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.