Two-Minute Drill: Herman, Drayton Talk Offensive Signees
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — It was a big day for all of the Ohio State coaches on Wednesday, but especially for Tom Herman and Stan Drayton. With Herman’s help, the Buckeyes had managed to pull three of the top 20 players out of the state of Texas.
And Drayton, well Drayton was able to celebrate after the Buckeyes landed that 24th signature from Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State’s “running back of the future,” as Urban Meyer would call him afterward.
Here’s a complete breakdown of what Herman and Drayton had to say about the players Ohio State signed on the offensive side of the ball this week.
On the QBs…
* Herman said everything he's hearing about QB JT Barrett is that he's ahead of schedule. May do some 7 on 7 in the spring.
* "I think we have the best backup QB in college football and potentially the best starting QB." -- Tom Herman
* Drayton said their goal was to go get quality playmakers like OSU had in the past. Guys like Terry Glenn and Santonio Holmes.
* Drayton said the dynamic playmakers they are after "stick out like a sore thumb." Now do they have the intangibles they're looking for?
* Herman said they were looking for speed, but also toughness and ability to make guys miss in space.
* Herman said it would be putting their eggs in the wrong basket to think they're going to rely on all these freshmen in 2013.
On Dontre Wilson…
* Herman said the interest from Dontre Wilson was reciprocated from his end long before the coaching change at Oregon.
* Herman said he called Wilson right after Chip Kelly left Eugene, but he also called him the week before so it wasn't a huge change.
* Herman on relentless pursuit of Wilson: "I stalked my wife for 6 months before she said yes to go out with me."
* Herman on challenge of selling OSU in Texas: "It's not challenging when you go 12-0 and have Urban Meyer as your head coach."
* Drayton on Wilson: "His track times are national times. He could be an All-American (sprinter).”
* Drayton joked about getting into a physical altercation with WRs coach Zach Smith over who was going to coach Dontre Wilson.
* Drayton said Urban Meyer will work primarily with Wilson, just like he did with Percy Harvin at Florida.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.