Two-Minute Drill: Recapping Urban Meyer’s NSD Presser
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Urban Meyer was so excited on National Signing Day, he actually chest-bumped co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers after they received a commitment from 5-star safety Vonn Bell.
Here’s a closer look at what Meyer had to say about Bell, James Clark and the rest of the 2013 class during his NSD press conference in Columbus.
On the 2013 Class…
* Meyer: "It was a great day. I thought it was going to be a very good day, but I'd put it in the great category."
* Meyer said last year's recruiting effort was like "a bunch of gypsies" or "cowboys" out there trying to find recruits.
* Meyer said they had needs at every position on defense. "We answered a lot of our concerns, once we develop them."
* Meyer said the one thing they really lacked in 2012 was speed guys who could "make you miss" in space. Got 3 in this class.
* Meyer: "I think we have two corners that if they didn't early commit would have been two of the finest corners in America."
* Meyer said Evan Lisle is the most improved kid in the class. They had to think about whether to take him initially.
* Meyer said there would have been a parade on NSD if OSU had landed late commitments from Bosa, Barrett, Price, Apple, Burrows or Marshall.
* "Everybody knows he's one of the finest players in the country and he's an even better person." -- Meyer on Jalin Marshall.
* Meyer said a couple SEC programs were "ruthless" in their nonstop pursuit of LB Trey Johnson.
* Meyer said everybody in the country offers committed players & "it's not wrong." A 17 or 18 year old man has the right to go where he wants.
Landing Vonn Bell and James Clark…
* Meyer: "When Vonn Bell called me 2 minutes before he walked on the stage he said 'You know I'm in, right?' "
* Meyer said he was very proud of the way Vonn Bell handled himself today. Said they handled his recruitment the right way.
* Meyer said the recruitment of Vonn Bell was a street fight. He got on the treadmill waiting for Bell's announcement when he got the call.
* Meyer said James Clark was a unique situation. Unlike Dontre Wilson, who they had a relationship with for a year.
* Meyer said things moved fast with James Clark after another WR told them he wasn't coming. (James Quick)
Looking Ahead to 2014…
* Meyer: "The area we have to do a little better job is offensive line. That's area No. 1 and 1a, 1b and 1c is offensive line for next year."
* Meyer said the one area they didn't close well enough on offense was the offensive line. "We wanted to get some playmakers in here."
* Meyer said he would much rather get 3-4 more kids from Ohio and cherry pick other areas like Texas and Georgia.
* Meyer said his favorite part about recruiting Ohio is that the high school coaches are still in charge of their programs.
* Meyer said he is not declaring war on Alabama. "We have one rival and that rival was dictated many, many years ago."
* Meyer called the new changes to NCAA recruiting "bad stuff." Said he's not a fan of many of them. Planning to write a letter to NCAA.
On Committed Punter Who Didn’t Sign…
* Meyer on 82 limit: "People say you only have three scholarships left but that could be three Braxton Millers or John Simons."
* Meyer said they never pulled a scholarship offer from a committed kid, but they had to pull some back from targets who were uncommitted.
* Meyer said “maybe” when asked if there could be another addition to the class after Ezekiel Elliott.
* Meyer said he was worried about the punter situation at OSU, but called it a “complicated” issue at the moment.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.