NSD Two-Minute Drill: Meyer, Assistants Break Down 2013 Class
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Luke Fickell could barely speak by the time he made his appearance on Urban Meyer’s call-in show Wednesday.
Ohio State’s defensive coordinator was still hoarse from celebrating a big commitment from 5-star safety Vonn Bell, who picked the Buckeyes over Alabama and Tennessee on Wednesday morning.
Meyer and offensive coordinator Tom Herman also appeared on the hour-long call-in show, which proceeded Meyer’s appearance with the local media in Columbus. Here’s a complete rundown of what the OSU coaches had to say on National Signing Day.
Urban Talks 2013 Class…
* Meyer quick to praise the job Everett Withers did in recruiting. Huge in helping them land 5-star DB Vonn Bell.
* Meyer said Withers' recruitment of Bell was one of the "best recruiting efforts he's ever seen."
* Meyer with a lot of praise for Tom Herman and the job he did in Texas. Also Fickell for helping them land Mike Mitchell.
* Meyer said if Dontre Wilson "is what we think he is" OSU fans are really going to enjoy watching him play. A kid they wanted all along.
* Meyer: "Billy Price is more physical than those other guys, so he would be the first one ready to play."
* Meyer: "You have to be tough to make it here. This is the Ohio State of new. It takes a special guy to be here."
* Meyer said LB Ryan Shazier and WR Michael Thomas were "over the top" recruiters for OSU. Also Braxton Miller and freshman Cam Burrows.
* Meyer said Troy Smith and Eddie George both work for the University. Helped recruit kids when they were on campus.
* Meyer said noon games hurt recruiting in the Big Ten. Makes it hard for kids to get on campus. Plus night atmosphere is better.
* Meyer: "I have a lot of concerns. Recruiting is number one. That's what you have to worry about in this business."
Fickell Talks Defense…
* Fickell: "It's nice to see it all come together. We worked our butts off the last year and we addressed a lot of issues we had."
* Fickell said the two LBs they signed are strong enough to come in and "hopefully hold up" if they can get the mental side
* Fickell said LB Mike Mitchell won't have a problem fitting in physically. Similar to Joey Bosa.
* Fickell said LB Trey Johnson has an understanding of the game of football that you can't teach.
* Fickell said Mitchell has a knack for the football but was more of a rushing LB in HS. Johnson better feel for all-around LB position.
* Fickell said Curtis Grant is going to get a shot at Mike LB in the spring. Still expecting big things from Joshua Perry.
Herman Talks Offense…
* Herman: “To have the kind of morning we had was really exciting.”
* Herman said J.T. Barrett is a quarterback who can run. He's not a runner who can kind of throw. Makes quick, accurate decisions.
* Herman said Barrett made a huge impression on visiting recruits with an "awe inspiring speech" in the weightroom.
* Barrett's awe-inspiring speech to visiting recruits came during Dontre Wilson and James Clark's official visit to Columbus last month.
* Herman said No. 1 goal is to get the best players in Ohio. If 25 of the top 50 kids in the country are in Ohio, that's who they will get.
* Herman said studies have shown the best players in the country (outside of Ohio) are in California, Florida, Texas and Georgia.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.