Recruiting Rundown: Updates from Under-Armour Game
By Brandon Castel
If you haven’t noticed, Ozone correspondent Michael Chung has been absolutely slaying it down in San Antonio, where he is providing outstanding coverage of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl prep.
If you haven’t read Michael’s Random Thoughts from San Antonio on Tuesday, you’re missing out on the latest updates on some of the biggest names on the recruiting front for Ohio State.
Michael has video reports on Louisville WR James Quick , Texas LB Mike Mitchell and Cleveland Heights WR Shelton Gibson .
He also has some good stuff on other Ohio State commits who are down in San Antonio, but there are some other All-American games going on this week as well. Future Buckeyes like Joey Bosa, Cameron Burrows and Jalin Marshall are all down in Florida at the Under Armour all-star game.
Here are some things the national recruiting guys from Scout, Rivals and 247 Sports are saying about the OSU kids:
* It sounds like Burrows has really impressed people with his strength and athleticism. He has been incredible in press coverage and has been among the best at his position in drills.
* Where concerns have arisen with Burrows this week is in man-to-man coverage. He doesn't quite seem to have the fluid hips you want from an elite cover corner, which you might already know if you regularly read The-Ozone.
* Ohio scout John McCallister has been telling us that for almost a year. He thinks Burrows will be an outstanding safety at Ohio State, and now the national guys are starting to agree. One of the guys at 247 said he thinks Burrows could 220 before it's all done. He has that type of frame, which McCallister has also been telling us.
* Burrows actually did play some safety in practice Tuesday and had a nice break up on a ball intended to future teammate Jalin Marshall in the end zone. He also had an interception off future Michigan QB Shane Morris (more on him later).
* It sounds like Vonn Bell is another guy who is showing off tremendous ability on the back end. He’s a true safety prospect who will pick between Ohio State, Alabama and Tennessee between now and National Signing Day. Reports are that he is extremely fluid for a safety – maybe even more so than Burrows – and could actually play some corner if he was asked. He has also been working as a punt returner in practice this week.
* There have also been some question marks about the hands of Jalin Marshall this week. According to Gerry Hamilton of 247 Sports, Marshall is built more like a running back and he's been "fighting the ball" in practice instead of catching it cleanly. Probably a result of all the pressure to play a new position at these high-profile all-star games against the best players in the country.
* The fact Marshall is built more like an RB than a WR could work out just fine for the Buckeyes. Other than Jordan Hall, and incoming freshman Ezekiel Elliott, they don't have any guys with speed who can play that Percy Harvin role which requires some tough running inside. Hamilton did say that he "really, really likes" Marshall once he gets the ball in his hands.
* TE Marcus Baugh, another OSU commit ranked among the top performers in practice this week. According to Hamilton, he "catches everything in sight" and has shown a tremendous ability to make plays in traffic even when he’s getting hit over the middle. Don’t sleep on this kid. If he comes in ready to play, he could challenge Jeff Heuerman and Nick Vannett for some time at TE this season.
* 5-star DE Joey Bosa has been one of the more physically dominant players down in Florida this week. He has tremendous size and strength, and even showed off with a little back flip in front of his teammates. He also had a fumble recovery, but one of the guys at Scout.com thinks he needs to work on his flexibility and knee-bend. Another analyst suggested he could end up playing inside because he’s such a strong, physical guy at the point of attack rather than a blazer off the edge.
* OSU target Trey Johnson has been one of the better LBs down at the Under Armour practices this week. The former Auburn commit has already made a lot of plays in practice, and the recruiting guys down in Florida are expecting him to pick Ohio State during the game on Friday.
* Another OSU commit down in Florida this week is CB Gareon Conley. There hasn’t been a ton of news concerning Conley, but the national recruiting guys are basically seeing what we’ve seen. They see a raw prospect with a lot of athletic ability and really nice upside. He has a lot of work to do, but all the talent is there for him to be a true corner.
* There have been mixed reports, but it sounds like future Michigan QB Shane Morris is not off to a fast start at the Under Armour game. Morris started off throwing the ball well but his release has looked a lot longer than what the scouts remembered. He has the arm strength to be one of the good ones, but he’s been late on his throws down the field, often throwing into double coverage. He has been very accurate in the short passing game, however.