McCallister Looks at Top Prospects in Ohio for 2014
By John McCallister
(Editor’s Note: John McCallister is a long-time football scout and friend of the-Ozone. He is a former high school football coach and English teacher who has worked to provide the best information on Ohio's top high school football prospects since 1989.)
There is always something to do with my scouting service. Right now, I am working on list of members of the Ohio Class of 2014.
The format is the same as last year's class. No heights, weights, 40 times, or grade point averages. Those types of information are usually so unreliable. Not necessary now. My plan is to get some recognition for deserving prospects who are among the best in the state of Ohio for this upcoming class.
My blog readers need not respond, because I am just thinking out loud. I’m just going to list some prospects who hopefully belong on my list. From what I have seen, they should be on my complete list of 170 players and I hope I don’t omit any of these talented kids.
1. Marshon Lattimore (6-0, 185) - Cleveland Glenville - WR. Although he plays both ways, he is a better slot receiver. Excellent athlete. Smart. Explosive. Separates well. Big play guy.
2. Erick Smith (6-1, 185) - Cleveland Glenville - DB. Physical. Excellent run stopper. Backpedals. Fast. If he gets bigger, may have to move inside to safety.
3. Sam Hubbard (6-6, 223) - Cincinnati Moeller - OLB. Tall, big athletic free safety. Moves to OLB next level. Closes well. Changes direction well for size. Excellent character. Smart. (Ohio State commit)
4. Kyle Trout (6-6, 280) - Lancaster - OL. First impressed me at my combine last year. Good punch. Good bender on run blocking. Needs to work on feet in pass protection. Physical. (Ohio State commit)
5. Vayante Copeland (6-0, 186) - Dayton Marshall - DB. Special guy. Runs well. Good hips. Explosive runner. Like him more as a possible corner. Needs to continue to improve speed.
6. Kyle Berger (6-2, 200) - Cleveland St Ignatius - LB. Runs downhill well. Excellent burst. Finishes plays. Needs to add a lot of good weight. Physical. (Ohio State commit)
7. Dameon Willis Jr. (6-1, 210) - Cleveland St Ignatius - SS/OLB. Very physical. Excellent closing speed. Solid hips. Plays pad under pad. Better than recruiters think.
8. Parris Campbell (6-1, 181) - Akron St Vincent-St Mary - ATH. Possible slot receiver. Track fast, but football tough. Excellent burst. Excellent hips. Really young for class. Tons of potential. (Ohio State commit)
9. Mike Edwards (6-0, 185) - Cincinnati Winton Woods - DB. Possible corner. Excellent speed. Burst. Physical. Could be a FS. Also excellent punt/KO return guy.
10. Darryl Long (6-4, 235) - Westerville South - TE. Really worked in the off season. Good speed. Blocks. Will catch over the middle. Could get really big.
11. Noah Furbush (6-4, 235) - Kenton - DE - Outstanding at my combine. 6’4 and 235. Vertical jump of 35', Ran 4.22/Shuttle, 7.32 L-Cone. Excellent closing speed. Bender. Physical. Will be known soon.
*John McCallister is the founder of McCallister Scouting Report (MSR Ohio). If you enjoyed this article, be sure to check out more of his work at http://msrohio.blogspot.com/.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.