Random Thoughts on the Recruiting Trail
By Michael Chung
I talked to Damon Webb this week. I always like his family. His dad used to be a Michigan fan but now wears his Ohio State hat proudly. Just like Brent Williams converted to the Buckeyes after his son Camren and godson Armani Reeves committed last year, OSU has another “Wolverine convert.”
Webb says he is actively working on guys like Demetrius Knox, Raekwon McMillan, and Marshon Lattimore. He is very hopeful all will be Buckeyes.
* It was once reported that Miami was Texas running back Daniel Gresham’s leader, but he told me that was an inaccurate report. Miami is in his tops, but not the leader. OSU was not in his top 5, but one school that stood out to me as we talked was Louisville. Gresham has Kentucky roots and likes Charlie Strong.
Gresham and Knox were once thought of as a package deal but now both realize that they may be playing at different schools. Their offers are similar so where one goes, the other could follow, but not necessarily.
* Sean Nuernberger came out of nowhere and became commit #10 for the 2014 class. He was offered on Tuesday and committed on the spot. Nuernberger will placekick and kick off but loves to punt and will continue working at it. In practice, he has kicked a 70-yard FG with the wind and has hit a few 65 yarders without the wind. Nuernberger’s dad played for the German national basketball team. Sean is fluent in German and wants to be a neurosurgeon.
* Kyle Trout had a big weekend. He competed in the state track meet finishing 7th in the shot put and 8th in the discus throw. He told me that he and Billy Price talked a lot together as both were competing in the same events. Trout did not have as good of an OSU camp as he would have liked to because he was tired from competing in states.
* VA 5-star 2015 DT Tim Settle and I chatted this week. He had a great visit to OSU but is a long way away from making any commitments. He told me Da'Shawn Hand is a big brother and mentor figure to him and that he would not mind playing along side Hand. Says Hand dominates and could play cornerback. Settle loves OSU receivers coach Zach Smith, thinks he has a lot of energy.
* Running back Jonathan Hilliman had a great weekend at Ohio State. Said he came close to committing. He told me that other schools mention to him the RB depth at OSU but Hilliman says he does not want to shy away from competition, so OSU’s RB depth is not a deterrent for him. Hilliman is also considering Rutgers, Michigan, Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Miami.
* It is no secret that Demetrius Knox went undefeated at the Rivals camp in Chicago this past weekend. He was sporting an OSU cap while in attendance. He told me that was the only cap of his top 5 that he had, but he also told me he still despises Michigan. Knox had high praise for 5-star DT Andrew Brown, said his technique is off the charts.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.