No.3 Ohio State Buckeyes (1-0) vs. No. 15 Pittsburgh Panthers (1-0) Preview
The Wrestling Bucks head to the Steel City this Friday for their first road dual of the season. Pittsburgh looked impressive in their first dual against Campbell, winning 8/10 matches on their way to a 28-6 victory. Ohio State wrestled Stanford on Sunday November 10th, winning 29-6.
Probable Match Ups:
125 Pounds: No. 21 Malik Heinselman (4-3 So.) vs. Louis Newell (2-2, r-Fr)
- Heinselman beat an unranked opponent against Stanford by a 5-3 decision. Newell lost by an 11-8 decision to an unranked opponent. I would give Heinselman an edge in this match making the team score 3-0 Ohio State.
133 Pounds: No. 18 Quinn Kinner (5-2, r-Fr) vs. Micky Phillippi (5-0, r-So)
- Kinner defeated an unranked opponent against Stanford by a 7-0 decision. Kinner was able to keep his opponent from scoring but was ridden out the entire third period. Phillippi won by a 6-2 decision against the 12th ranked 133-pounder in the country. I would give an edge to Phillippi in this match, winning by major decision making the team score 4-3 Pittsburgh.
141 Pounds: No. 1 Luke Pletcher (6-0, Sr) vs. No. 17 Cole Matthews (4-0, r-Fr)
- Pletcher defeated the 15th-ranked 141-pounder against Stanford by a 3-1 decision in exciting fashion. Matthews pinned the 13th-ranked 141-pounder in the country in his match. I would give the edge to Pletcher in this match due to his strength, flexibility, and superior defense. I think Pletcher will win by a decision making the team score 6-4 OSU.
149 Pounds: No. 6 Sammy Sasso (6-0, r-Fr) vs. Luke Kemerer (3-1, r-Fr)
- Sasso beat the 19th ranked 149-pounder in the country by a 3-1 decision on Sunday. Kemerer secured a 4-0 decision against his unranked opponent. I expect Sasso to unleash his offense in this match to assist the Buckeyes with some bonus points. I think Sasso will win by a major decision making the team score 10-4 OSU.
157 Pounds: Elijah Cleary (2-2, r-Jr) vs. No. 10 Taleb Rahmani (3-2, r-Sr)
- Cleary beat an unranked opponent in quite possibly the most exciting match of the night. Cleary was able to secure 4 straight takedowns to overcome a third period deficit and win in sudden victory by a 10-8 decision. Rahmani beat an unranked opponent by a 6-4 decision. I am very torn on this match, but I would give the slight edge to Rahmani, winning by decision. Team score 10-7 OSU.
165 Pounds: No. 21 Ethan Smith (5-2, r-So) vs. No. 15 Jake Wentzel (4-0, r-Jr)
- Smith had a tough match against the 8th-ranked 165-pounder on Sunday. Smith lost by fall (pin) in the third period. Wentzel beat the 15th-ranked 165-pounder by a 9-1 major decision. I would give the edge to Wentzel in this match, winning by major decision. This makes the team score 11-10 Pittsburgh.
174 Pounds: Rocky Jordan (7-2, r-Fr) vs. Greg Harvey (4-2, r-Jr)
- Jordan did not wrestle in last week’s dual, but he came in first place in the gold division at the Intercollegiate Open. Harvey beat an unranked opponent by a 9-4 decision. I would give the edge to Jordan in this match. Jordan will win by a decision making the team score 13-11 OSU.
184 Pounds: Gavin Hoffman (5-2, r-Fr), vs. No. 11 Nino Bonaccorsi (4-1, r-So)
- Hoffman did not wrestle in Sunday’s dual, but he also won first place in the gold division at the Intercollegiate Open. Bonaccorsi lost by an 11-8 decision against an unranked opponent. I would give an edge to Bonaccorsi in this match, winning by decision. This makes the team score 14-13 Pittsburgh. I could also see Hoffman upsetting his ranked opponent and this would be a much-needed win for the Buckeyes.
197 Pounds: No. 1 Kollin Moore (6-0, r-Sr) vs. No. 23 Kellan Stout (3-2, r-Sr)
- Moore beat the 12th ranked wrestler by a major decision on Sunday. Stout defeated an unranked opponent by a 4-0 decision. I expect Kollin to unleash his offense in this match to provide some much-needed bonus points for OSU. I think Moore will win by tech fall making the team score 18-14 OSU.
HWT: No. 11 Chase Singleterry (0-0, r-So) vs. No. 9 Demetrius Thomas (4-0, Sr)
- Singleterry did not wrestle last Sunday, partly because OSU did not need him and partly because he just returned from U23 Worlds. Thomas defeated the 7th ranked HWT by a 10-3 decision. Due to Chase being rested I would give the edge to him in this match. I think Chase wins a close match by decision. This would make the final team score 21-14 OSU.
Although I predicted OSU to win, there are multiple matches that could go either way. This match will really show OSU where they stand and if adjustments in the lineup are needed.
Follow Brandon @WrestlingBucks
appreciate the wrestling previews and reviews..Go Bucks! will be an interesting year.. have lost a lot of excellent wrestlers the last two years to graduation and now the dang transfer portal with or #1 recruit
Thank you so much. I plan on writing many more articles throughout the year. As to your concern I hear you. Although, we do have some great talent in our wrestling room. Sasso, Kharchla, and Decatur have bright futures. We just signed Euchmendia who projects at 149/141 and we are in the running for two excellent wrestlers out of Ohio Gallagher and Voinovich.
Comments are closed.