Notifications

Five Predictions for the Second Half of Ohio State's Season  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
October 11, 2019 12:25 pm  
wpf-cross-image

There is no Buckeye football game for me to make predictions about this week, but to paraphrase Jim Tressel regarding recruiting, taking a week off of predicting is like taking a week off of shaving -- you'll end up looking like a bum. During off weeks, I do many of the same things the coaches are doing right now. I am self scouting. I am evaluating my picks.

charlie
 charlie
(@charlie)
October 11, 2019 12:50 pm  

They won't give Day the Coach of the Year award. No way, no how! Not at Ohio State. Wisconsin would get it before Ohio State. It's not meant for the Alabamas, Ohio States, and traditional blue-bloods of the world.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
October 11, 2019 1:11 pm  

Charlie -- Nick Saban has won the SEC Coach of the Year Award three times at Alabama and once at LSU.

ReplyQuote
Horvath 22
 Horvath 22
(@Horvath 22)
October 11, 2019 1:28 pm  

What, no Tip Sheet this week? How am I going to make it through the week-end?

ReplyQuote
Tim Wearver
 Tim Wearver
(@Tim Wearver)
October 11, 2019 1:48 pm  

No way Day wins Big 10 Coach of the Year. This award is reserved strictly for Kirk Ferentz. If Tress didn't win it in 2002 going 14-0 with a National Championship or Urb in 2012 or 2014 then it's never going to happen again.

ReplyQuote

John Sheridan
 John Sheridan
(@John Sheridan)
October 11, 2019 2:01 pm  

Clever article, Tony.

As to your predictions, I disagree with #4. The B1G always disrespects Ohio State. They'll find a way to give it to Fleck, or somebody inferior to him.

As for #5, right on! At first, I was irritated with Arnette for his comments, but after those six games, this team has "Natty" written all over it.

ReplyQuote
charlie
 charlie
(@charlie)
October 11, 2019 2:20 pm  

I was referring to B1G Coach of the Year. My bad. I misread.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
October 11, 2019 2:31 pm  

Horvath -- Working on it now.

ReplyQuote
KJS
 KJS
(@KJS)
October 11, 2019 2:45 pm  

Tony when you comment on seeing space and time collapse is that sort of like speed in space because watching UM's offense I'm still trying to figure out what the hell that is? Sorry to go off topic.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
October 11, 2019 2:53 pm  

KJS -- Speed in space collapses in on itself regardless of any other physics going on. It's like a slice of cheese. Sure, it can stand up when it's cold, but once you put a little heat to it, it melts or folds.

ReplyQuote
JP Robb
 JP Robb
(@JP Robb)
October 11, 2019 10:27 pm  

Hey Tony, great stuff as always. I remember thinking last week when I read your predictions that you had a good chance of getting all five right. I'm kind of surprised you ended up 2/5. Hmm, this guessing business must be a tough gig after all.

As for your Second Half of the Season predictions, I think you will do better than 2/5. My gut tells me you have the first three in the bag. History tells me that #4 will never happen. And #5, well, I feel like it's superstitious to say it out loud at this point. But, I hope you're right of course.

ReplyQuote
Razorbuck
 Razorbuck
(@Razorbuck)
October 12, 2019 1:46 pm  

#4. That’s just crazy talk. 1,2,3 & 5 are all more likely than 4. However, crazy things sometimes happen.

ReplyQuote
Dave
 Dave
(@Dave)
October 13, 2019 7:41 am  

I think the Buckeyes will lose to Wisconsin or Penn State. Wisconsin beat MSU much more convincingly than OSU did and Penn State is looking really tough.
No way the Buckeyes are the best team in the country either, Tony.

ReplyQuote
Brian
 Brian
(@Brian)
October 13, 2019 8:56 am  

Dave, how can you be taken seriously with "No way...?" It appears to be your opinion that they are not the best, and that's fine. At least give us some reasoning for your subjective "No way..." nonsense.

ReplyQuote
Buck68
 Buck68
(@Buck68)
October 13, 2019 12:17 pm  

Do my Pre-Dick-shuns lead with my fizzicality? IDK Well, i doo but i will wait for someone to blame to step forward first.... ;-{)}

Have we played any of our scheduled top 3 2019 opponents yet?

How long does it take a feel good we're the greatest bandwagon to go overboard? Over the cliff? Unlearn what we so learned over again from the last time we displayed our manifest emotional craving needs?

Is there ANY player who has achieved his potential now, midway through this season?

Are any of our players discouraged by how they are doing this year? How they are feeling now? Apprehensions about the rest of this year? What are 'we' doing for each one? How do you 'help' when public conjecture is hardly the 'preferred method' of 'helping'?

What is it when 'NFL early talk' starts halfway through a season where we have not yet played our top 3 regular opponents, let alone the BIG CG game or BCS or playoff game[s]?

Compared to tactics terms and behaviors, what is this "establishing the run", "shortening the game" et al creeping in from our past mantras/traditions?

Since we all know a team must "improve the most from game 1 to game 2", are we required to improve less and less as we play more and more games?

Are we 'developing' some parts of our team 'more' than others?

Fields has done very, very well. Where does he need, and/or the team need, him to improve? We luv stats... are there any that suggest point[s] of departure for improving?

If 'reps' = 'experience' and so forth... is 'shortening the game' a plus or minus for all our players' opportunities?

How exactly does 'balance' fit within strategy and/or tactics? Is football a game of out-competing... or 'out-balancing'?

IMO in the last couple weeks some of our usual [and FATAL to a champion] foibles and foolish claims have started 'creeping in'... along with the usual self - distractions.

But... this is nothing new, is it? So it does show that, once again, there are a few indications that, once again, we have not 'learned our lesson'.

We could try... "minimizing" our compulsions to "condemn ourselves" to repeating our history... of 'being the greatest' before the season is over...

AND... we're playing with that big ugly trinket on some stage somewhere....

GO BUCKS!

ReplyQuote

Buck68
 Buck68
(@Buck68)
October 13, 2019 12:42 pm  

Hi Dave... R U Dave Right or Dave Left? ;-{)} JK... with one hand.... I don't have to look very long and deep in my mirror to 'fear we'll lose' to whoever or whatever i conjure up into my beast.

Nor feed my fear by "really tough" appearances.

And I 'so relish' where my fears 'lead'... from my stupid pre-dick-shuns to the amazingly foolish "no way" of 'can't'.

nb. I'm speaking only about my self - nice, fair, balanced, loyal fan... that i honestly am.... ;-{)}

I'd say 'GO BUCKS'... but u 'made me' 'feel bad.' LOL

ReplyQuote
Bob
 Bob
(@Bob)
October 14, 2019 8:45 am  

Dave penn states defense looks good but there offense hasn’t showed much of anything close games against Pitt and Iowa. Iowa has no offense. Second I think whisky game is going to be a dog fight but whisky defense hasn’t been tested by any good offense yet and osu score against Michigan st should have been 41-10 so not sure how whisky looked more dominant then osu. They great Taylor was held to 88 yards rushing against Michigan st. Dobbins went for 172 rushing. Osu has looked dominant in every game all yr whisky game we’ll see what they are really made of though. They win that game easily they are a top team in country no doubt.

ReplyQuote
Doug Buckles
 Doug Buckles
(@Doug Buckles)
October 14, 2019 9:47 am  

If tuf borland is on the field during the playoffs bucks aint winning the whole thing.

ReplyQuote
MrBuckeye
 MrBuckeye
(@MrBuckeye)
October 15, 2019 10:06 am  

BWA HA HA HA. #4. You're a fool. Wisconsin's coach wins 10 games and takes it.

ReplyQuote