Greg Mattison Wants...

Share:

Greg Mattison Wants Fast Players To Equal Fast Defense  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
June 7, 2019 11:51 am  

If speed kills, then that means the slower party is the victim. Last season, the Ohio State defense was victimized for more points per game than any other Buckeye team before it. Now, that number gets a bit skewed because of OSU's pace on offense and the need for the opponent to keep up, but any time a record is set, it has some meaning.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by Tony Gerdeman

The height of confidence is standing up in a hammock.

Longtime fan
 Longtime fan
(@Longtime fan)
June 7, 2019 1:56 pm  

Sounds like Mattison took a thinly veiled shot at some of the 2018 defensive staff- a well deserved one too!

ReplyQuote
James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
June 7, 2019 6:36 pm  

I personally think that Greg Schiano is a really good football coach. Way back in his "Little Least" days however, he only had to contend with Miami and Va. Tech., and, sometimes a surprise invader of the upper levels of that really bad football conference. IMO that gave Schiano FAR too much time to tinker, tailor, beggar man and thief He raided concepts from NFL schemes and integrated them into Rutgers defense. Coach Mattison's observations are exactly right. Against elite rosters, all that "exotic" planning can cause a defense to appear slow. In the Big 10, even the lower tiered programs put a lot of fast talent on the field. The Buckeyes often have superior talent. Handcuff that talent with gimmicks that cause a defense to overthink and you get 2018.

That still doesn't explain using linebackers as defenders to uncover defensive linemen. There's just NO logic and sound principle to explain why he and Davis pulled that idiotic stunt. Especially against modern offenses. Even weak teams with average talent can exploit a defense that is playing mostly shadow and press man coverage when there's exactly no one home in the middle zones of the defense (linebacker). Then you look and that average talent roster figures out a way to guarantee that their best speed and talent is lined up with a linebacker over the top of them, and it doesn't matter HOW talented that linebacker is, he's instantly at a disadvantage. As fast as he is with his 4.6 speed, he doesn't know the route of the receiver who runs a 4.4 or better. The result is that the average teams players are matched up with a guy they can beat in coverage with large openings throughout the middle zones. THEN to make matters worse, that offense can line up in the same formation, but design a rushing option to exploit the fact that there's exactly no one in the middle zones. With man coverage and DB's backs to the football there's just nobody close to where the plays are designed to exploit.

To make those things worse, it took more than half a year, and the towns folk storming the castle with torches and spears and nooses before Urban and the staff would even try to make some changes. They could have simply had the players play what they ran in HS and the results would have been better because they were basic defenses and the guys on the field would instinctively know their roles.

Maybe if I was a new hire at a College and free to build a brand new scheme because my predecessors left a train wreck for me to fix, maybe then I would start from scratch. That wasn't the case when Luke Fickell left. Urban should have told Schiano.......it AIN'T broke, so don't try to fix it. Simply retool it with the next man up.

Mattison and the current defensive staff understand playing fast against other fast programs. Schiano only knew fast and exotic against a conference that was extremely 2 team top heavy, and, he could get away with nonsense against inferior rosters of the Little Least.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
June 7, 2019 10:19 pm  

Greg Schiano is a great coach who was asking too much of his players last year.

The height of confidence is standing up in a hammock.

ReplyQuote
James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
June 7, 2019 10:33 pm  

Yes. I just think he saw all that talent and equated that with being big time ready. The 2 just don't go hand in hand. Until the day I die however, I will NEVER understand the concept..........except on a stunt here and there, using linebackers as virtual catchers of blocks. That's not stupid, it's criminally negligent.

ReplyQuote

surfergijoe
(@surfergijoe)
June 9, 2019 3:53 pm  

Thanks Tony for the succinct response as opposed to 4 paragraphs

ReplyQuote
bb
 bb
(@bb)
June 9, 2019 4:59 pm  

Keep Borland on the BENCH~!

ReplyQuote
James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
June 11, 2019 6:29 am  

Don't like my comments, don't read them jackass.

How's that for succinct. It was 5 paragraphs, not 4. Learn to count.

ReplyQuote