Forum

What's It Like to b...

Share:
Notifications

What's It Like to be an Assistant Coach for Ryan Day?  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
October 10, 2019 9:34 pm  
wpf-cross-image

Ryan Day has a 9-0 record as the head coach at Ohio State, but head coaches don't win games on their own. It takes a talented roster and dedicated coaches, players, and support staff to get the job done. That being said, a head coach can make quite a difference. There are any number of tried and true methods for how a head coach goes about his business...

James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
October 10, 2019 11:12 pm  

Providing time, real private time to families for assistants is a HUGE deal. It relieves a lot of stress and creates a real world job description, rather than the mandatory 24/7 grind that CERTAINLY takes its toll on assistant coaches family life. Over burdening hour demands creates stress and can lead to division which eventually shows up in roster tension and oftentimes, discord.

But it's also a 2 way street. Coach Day is providing great family time, but the requirement is that when it's time to focus 100% on the team in developing talent, that those assistants deliver on a deadline the level of individual, unit and team excellence on and off the field. If things aren't getting done than I doubt Ryan would hesitate to address it.

It's the old axiom of life. "I'll give you full cooperation and respect, but, it's up to you to keep it.

So far? So good.

ReplyQuote
Bluegrass Buckeye
 Bluegrass Buckeye
(@Bluegrass Buckeye)
October 10, 2019 11:26 pm  

Wow, we Bucks fans are so fortunate. What a golden time in Buckeye football. Ryan Day is the real deal and we are witnessing a real gem. Great article, Gerd.

ReplyQuote
Voisa Reason
 Voisa Reason
(@Voisa Reason)
October 11, 2019 9:50 am  

I've read remarks from Mattison a few times now about Coach Day being genuine and not egotistical. I would be willing to bet that being phony and egotistical are reasons why he is no longer at MI and why they are struggling despite having the talent. I've seen the same thing in the business world. A tool for a manager destroys talent and dedication

ReplyQuote
Buck68
 Buck68
(@Buck68)
October 11, 2019 10:42 am  

exhilarating and sobering... at the same time... all Day... daily.

i'm so glad [and thankful] that 'character' can only be demonstrated TODAY, between imperfect but willing individuals, in any size or shape task or ability.

Common is the phrase "call you out" on something, these daze.

Rare and precious is the choice to call one-self out... first; then, offer to help another when we see ourselves on the same road in the same journey.

This...is not Bye Week... TODAY is 'Hello Day'! ;-{)}

ReplyQuote
Buck68
 Buck68
(@Buck68)
October 11, 2019 10:44 am  

Volsa: I only bet on 'sure' things. So i bet that if i look 'enough', i will see where i have been "phony" and "egotistical" today... and it's not even... 'high noon' !

;-{)}

ReplyQuote
Brett Chardenet
 Brett Chardenet
(@Brett Chardenet)
October 11, 2019 11:42 am  

I am hopefully looking forward to upcoming drama free seasons coupled with success. Had to deal with the Norby Walters issues in the late eighties when there as a student, the Maurice Clarett drama in 2003 overshadowing the 2002 NC, then Tattoo-Gate at the end of the Tressel era, followed up of course with the shenanigans last year, whether deserved or not. I was just hoping after the 2014 NC nothing would come out of the woodwork.

I am liking what I am hearing so far. Of course, we'll hear the mantra from doubters across the country that Day has mostly Meyer's recruits, "so let's see in a few years when he gets his own". I like our chances going forward....

ReplyQuote