Share:

The-Ozone Rewind: Lou Holtz Was a Fan of Jim Tressel Early On, 2001  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
May 8, 2019 1:22 pm  
wpf-cross-image

December 27, 2001 | This story comes from John Porentas in the days leading up to the 2002 Outback Bowl, which was also a rematch of the 2001 Outback Bowl. Holtz had the privilege of coaching against John Cooper in his final game the year before, and then the privilege of coaching against Jim Tressel in Tressel's first bowl game.

This topic was modified 5 months ago by Tony Gerdeman
This topic was modified 4 months ago by Tony Gerdeman

The height of confidence is standing up in a hammock.

jbuckeye007
 jbuckeye007
(@jbuckeye007)
May 9, 2019 9:47 am  

I've been wondering who was better Tressel or Meyer? I think most people would pick Meyer but Tressel's record compares very favorably. Each with 1 Natty, each had amazing records against TTUN but Tressel's B1G dominance might give him the edge.

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@Jeff)
May 9, 2019 12:18 pm  

Meyer! No one will ever top his 90% winning Pct. at OSU, and 7-0 vs ttun.
I love Tressel but Meyer was a rock star coach.
We owe a great big thank you to both of them for the success they brought to OSU.

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@Jeff)
May 9, 2019 12:19 pm  

We owe a great big thank you to both of them for the success they brought to OSU.
- Love coach Holtz

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@Jeff)
May 9, 2019 12:20 pm  

Lou Holtz is awesome

ReplyQuote

Paul Brunswick
 Paul Brunswick
(@Paul Brunswick)
May 9, 2019 2:48 pm  

Urban took recruiting to a higher level but I think Tressel got more out of the talent he had. Urban had one weakness: being too loyal to underperforming assistants. And I think that cost us a couple nattys that we might have had. Both were great coaches and we were lucky to have both of them.

ReplyQuote
Your Coach
 Your Coach
(@Your Coach)
May 17, 2019 12:55 pm  

Jim Tressel was very special. Jim Tressel I believe made the game of football and coaching simple. He focused on Player Development ..Athletically , Spiritually, Morally and in return even a player with an ego would play 3rd string RB for him because Jim Tressel played a part in his LIFE, Meyer I'm forever Grateful for and is special in a lot of reasons Tressel might not be. i don't think Urban truly got the players to fit what he wanted, which is why we looked one dimensional at times until his last season when day changed it up a bit with haskins., Tressel had players in his era that he got to fit a basic offense that meyer would've drooled over...Ted Ginn, Chris Gamble, Jordan Hall, Berry, Terrelle Pryor etc.

ReplyQuote