Notifications

Luke Fickell Trying to Keep Bearcats Focused on What Matters  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
September 4, 2019 1:10 pm  
wpf-cross-image

Luke Fickell spent five years at Ohio State as a player, starting four of those years at nose tackle for the Buckeyes. He came back to the University as a graduate assistant in 1999 before landing a defensive line job with Akron for 2000 and 2001. He returned to Ohio State in 2002 and remained there through the 2016 season before leaving to take...

Longtime Fan
 Longtime Fan
(@Longtime Fan)
September 4, 2019 1:40 pm  

He protests too much...it's a HUGE game for him. Pretending otherwise is silly.

ReplyQuote
James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
September 4, 2019 2:10 pm  

I agree. For Luke this is HUGE. The man spend 21 years+ of his life at Ohio State. But that's him, not his roster. He can't allow his emotions to influence his decision making process developing his gameplan. If he does, they've already lost. Get in front of those guys and stress execution, attention to THEIR job assignments. Control what they can control and just get better. Saturday will take care of Saturday. and he'll have plenty of time after the game to reflect.

ReplyQuote
S Andrew Alexander
 S Andrew Alexander
(@S Andrew Alexander)
September 4, 2019 4:00 pm  

We agree a lot, Longtime, but not this time. I think Coach Fick is handling this exactly right. Measuring his team and doing his best to give them the best mindset he can to squeeze all he can out of them for this game. Sure it's huge, but he can't let his kids see that.

ReplyQuote
Longtime Fan
 Longtime Fan
(@Longtime Fan)
September 4, 2019 5:20 pm  

Hi Andrew- I totally understand. Heck, I agree. It's just that he gave the Gettysburg Address explaining why it's not important, which means it is. I think it's going to be a slugfest (which probably means it won't be:)

ReplyQuote
bb
 bb
(@bb)
September 4, 2019 11:06 pm  

Luke Fickell has a distinct advantage in this game.......in gum chewing and mouth breathing.

ReplyQuote
S Andrew Alexander
 S Andrew Alexander
(@S Andrew Alexander)
September 5, 2019 3:02 pm  

I hope you're right - for all the RIGHT reasons! 😉

ReplyQuote
Buckeye All-Star
 Buckeye All-Star
(@Buckeye All-Star)
September 5, 2019 4:28 pm  

I think Fickell is right about not getting caught up in the outside hype. He sounds like a real football coach should. He never said the game isn't huge for him but this isn't a women's talk show and it's not about him and his feelings. That's the type of distraction he's talking about. Time for that touchy feely sap after the game.

The Bearcats won't play harder because they have a chip on their shoulders--if Fickell's coaching them right they will play their hardest anyway and try to win and that's what he's talking about. The resentment factor will fuel the week of practice if it's going to make any difference.

This game is looking interesting with the in-state factor and Fickell's homecoming. So what's the next best Ohio team after Cincy? Crickets....a shame there are no other teams in the state that can contend once in a while.

The Buckeyes underachieved a bit last week but being the first game and so many new pieces it was a good outing and they are 1-0. OSU needs to beat the spread this week.

ReplyQuote