Notifications

Michigan Monday: Wolverines Beaten and Badgered  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
September 23, 2019 11:11 pm  
wpf-cross-image

The Wolverines went into Madison, Wisconsin on Saturday to receive their judgment. We were going to find out if Michigan actually was a Big Ten contender, or were they once again overhyped and undermanned. When the Wolverines took the field at high noon to plead their case, they soon found out that they were facing a hangin' judge and the judge was in a bit of a sadistic mood.

This topic was modified 5 months ago 3 times by Tony Gerdeman

James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
September 23, 2019 11:48 pm  

That first targeting call against Wisconsin was BS. Pure and simple. The second one was classic spearing. There NEVER needed to be a new rule for targeting, just an enforcement of the old rule.

Neither Patterson or McCaffrey should be playing football at this level. Both play frightened.

It was obvious last year that Harbaugh didn't have a single bit of control over his team. What kind of coach would allow his players to start running their useless pieholes before half of the season was over? Granted that Harbaugh is a pretty brainless individual but as a coach you can't let your team start running their mouth. They didn't eventually get redemption, they got Justice handed to them in the form of 2 humiliations in a row. Wisconsin didn't forget that blonde hair clown for UofM running his mouth about redemption. Like the Buckeyes last year, Wisconsin in 2019 delivered justice. I doubt that recurring nightmare is over just yet for TSUN, and this year they don't have a roster capable of deflecting the judgments headed their way.

ReplyQuote
Longtime Fan
 Longtime Fan
(@Longtime Fan)
September 24, 2019 6:20 am  

First off, I must admit that it was more fun watching UM be beaten like rented mules, than watching OSU pummel Miami. The scUM idiot fans and coaches get a glimmer of false hope as they face Rutgers and ILLinois the next few weeks.
Second, the only reason scUM scored the first TD was due to that ridiculous, obviously incorrect targeting in which the 2nd string QB baited the Wisky player into the hit. James is right, there was no need for a rules revision, and I greatly fear that the fearful refs will stroke OSU in a much more crucial moment.
Third, Tony's observations about scUM recruiting are spot on. There isn't a single player on the offense who scares me (Collins comes close). The defense? I wish players like Metellus and Hudson had more eligibility. Wow...
Finally, I have read remarks on these pages from readers who insist scUM "must" be good for the BIG to be good. Those same folks "root" for scUM in bowl games "because they are in the Big 10". They want scUM to win every game but the final one. STOP IT. That program has been a sham since before most of us were born. The next time your friend who roots for scUM to be contrary reminds you of 1997, remind him it was a SHARED title earned by Ohio players. The Bo years? 5-12 in bowl games and never a title threat. The 17 years before Bo? ZERO Big 10 titles. The last 18 years speak for themselves. In short, pull for that outfit to drown in it's own entitlement and enjoy watching it happen!!

ReplyQuote
Don
 Don
(@Don)
September 24, 2019 9:09 am  

I went online last year and bought one of those shirts that said "redemption tour cancelled Osu 62-39."

ReplyQuote
Patrick Hawthorne
 Patrick Hawthorne
(@Patrick Hawthorne)
September 24, 2019 9:19 am  

As a Michigan fan I always appreciate your honest and fair assessments and once again you are spot on. I think Harbaugh is a lost ball in high weeds and doesn’t know what to do at this point and looks lost and scared on the sideline. The tape is out on Don Brown and he is either to stubborn or not intelligent enough to make adjustments. Long story short I don’t see them winning any meaningful games this year. If honesty makes me a fair weather fan then so be it.

ReplyQuote

JP Robb
 JP Robb
(@JP Robb)
September 24, 2019 10:24 am  

Hey, Tony, you nailed it. A real pleasure to read about the debacle in Madison from a non-tsun writer's perspective. Brutal honesty, without the emotional entanglements.

My biggest takeaway after watching the game was how poorly tsun's OL played. The QB had no protection. Even when he got the pass off he usually got hit afterwards. And their run blocking looked disjointed as well. Is this on Warinner or the talent level?

Anyway, so much went wrong for tsun. And it didn't just come out of the blue. It's been building for a while. And you broke it down very well. Thanks.

Btw, loved the linebacker analogy. Sawdust, etc. Good stuff.

ReplyQuote
Buckeye All-Star
 Buckeye All-Star
(@Buckeye All-Star)
September 24, 2019 11:43 am  

Thank God I'm not a Michigan fan. Their program is running on fumes. For pure entertainment value Jimbo is my favorite UM coach since Lloyd Carr. Anyway I've been saying Wisconsin would trash them since I watched the Army game and saw that the Wolverine has no clothes. It's going to be a long year for Michigan fans, lol. I think little brother beats them in a shutout this year if they can score 3 points.

I hope that Iowa is for real and can hand the Badgers a loss because I'm dreading the likely possibility of playing them twice. I totally hate playing a conference member twice in the same season. I'd like to play Iowa if we make it to Indianapolis. There are many games between here and there but the Buckeyes have no excuse for not winning the Big Ten this year.

ReplyQuote
pw
 pw
(@pw)
September 24, 2019 4:06 pm  

Right now they look like a solid 6-6 team. Au Revoir Msr. Harbaugh!

ReplyQuote
Jim Short
 Jim Short
(@Jim Short)
September 24, 2019 5:31 pm  

Maybe Michigan wasn't sure what to expect from Wisconsin....how 'bout that!

ReplyQuote
F. Melchor
 F. Melchor
(@F. Melchor)
September 24, 2019 5:37 pm  

It was considered the revenge tour but no matter. Good reference and point taken. I did notice a couple of Wolverine Scribes comment about how Harbaugh should’ve shut the revenge tour down as it happened as it created bulletin board stuff. It did end up biting them in the butt in the end. Always better for every/any team players to keep their mouth shut and to focus on playing good, sound fundamental football. Exceptional talent is a nice thing too! Hopefully Coach Day continues to keep Bucks in check in regards to same - focus on good winning football and say thank you very much to what comes with it.

ReplyQuote

BGBuckeye
 BGBuckeye
(@BGBuckeye)
September 24, 2019 5:41 pm  

Tony:

I absolutely loved this line:

"'Speed in space?' Wisconsin’s 'Girth on Earth' ran through Michigan like the Wolverines were only playing with two defensive linemen."

First, "Girth on Earth" is an absolute classic. Wiscy should borrow that from you, with appropriate compensation paid to you for every time they use it, of course.

"Speed in Space" as applied to the *ichigan offense at present has to be the biggest misnomer of any program in recent memory. Their defense, on the other hand, seems to have inherited tOSU's defense's knack from last year to allow anyone with a modicum of speed all kinds of space in which to operate.

When Jimbo arrived, he was not particularly competent (I have never bought into the "great coach" mantra that has been everpresent regarding him), but he was passionate and even emotional in his reactions to his team's letdowns then. So far this year, and in particular last week in Madison, he almost seems disinterested. There was no real passion outside of maybe the "F-me" you could see him say when they were called for some penalty or another I believe. His press conferences afterward were not filled with anger, but amost an air of resignation to accompany his admission of unpreparedness etc.

I really don't think their season will be as bad as these early outings might imply, but they certainly need to take game preparation and in-game adjustments much more seriously or it will turn really bad on them in a hurry.

ReplyQuote
Steve
 Steve
(@Steve)
September 24, 2019 9:20 pm  

My Truck tag is TTUN LOL, I love every moment of that ass clown programs failures. My only wish, scUM would have signed Jimmy to a lifetime contract. The laughs would have been guaranteed for a long time or the laugh of scUM buying off a lifetime contract. Please keep Jimmy UofM and Jimmy keep up the laughs.

ReplyQuote