Notifications

Ranking Ohio State’s 2019 Playmakers on Offense: No. 6 -- WR Binjimen Victor  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
August 1, 2019 11:34 am  
wpf-cross-image

The No. 6 player on this list enters his third season in the starting rotation for the Buckeyes and has put up 11 touchdown catches over the last two years. Binjimen Victor is perpetual potential, constantly on the cusp of breaking out. Urban Meyer called him one of the most physically gifted receivers he's ever recruited. So far in his three years, Victor...

This topic was modified 7 months ago by Tony Gerdeman

charlie
 charlie
(@charlie)
August 1, 2019 12:03 pm  

I would have put McCall higher on the list! He's a veteran and explosive. All he does is make plays, and just like Curtis Samuel, I always wished they would have used him more!

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
August 1, 2019 12:20 pm  
Posted by: @charlie

I would have put McCall higher on the list! He's a veteran and explosive. All he does is make plays, and just like Curtis Samuel, I always wished they would have used him more!

If he stays healthy, he will be underranked on this list.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Perry
 Christopher Perry
(@Christopher Perry)
August 1, 2019 2:27 pm  

Not sure how Victor is this high. While I think he can provide some depth for our WR corps, I don't see him has a starter or in our top 3 (Hill, Olave, Wilson). This is a sheer seniority ranking. Looking at his career trajectory it just doesn't seem realistic to expect much more than 400-500 yds

ReplyQuote
thojenningsolv
 thojenningsolv
(@thojenningsolv)
August 1, 2019 4:12 pm  

Last year with a similar list most thought Paris Campbell was only going to be above average at best. As with Victor, he had not shown consistency and the ability to make big plays when needed. I think, the additional year under Hartline was very helpful for Campbell and I think we will see similar improvements in Victor (not 90 catches) and he will have an NFL Draft year.

ReplyQuote

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
August 1, 2019 4:23 pm  
Posted by: @Christopher Perry

Not sure how Victor is this high. While I think he can provide some depth for our WR corps, I don't see him has a starter or in our top 3 (Hill, Olave, Wilson). This is a sheer seniority ranking. Looking at his career trajectory it just doesn't seem realistic to expect much more than 400-500 yds

Fwiw, the top 3 WRs according to Hartline are Mack, Victor, and Hill.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Perry
 Christopher Perry
(@Christopher Perry)
August 1, 2019 5:00 pm  

Of course those are his "top 3" going into camp. What coach wouldn't say the same? It keeps everyone motivated...makes Mack/Victor work to actually become that, and makes the young guys stay hungry and humble.

It's called coach speak Gerd. And FWIW, can you point me to the article where Hartline said that?

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
August 1, 2019 7:11 pm  
Posted by: @Christopher Perry

Of course those are his "top 3" going into camp. What coach wouldn't say the same? It keeps everyone motivated...makes Mack/Victor work to actually become that, and makes the young guys stay hungry and humble.

It's called coach speak Gerd. And FWIW, can you point me to the article where Hartline said that?

The thing is, it wasn't just coach speak because that's why he moved Mack to Z from X.

Here's his quote on how Mack was doing at Z in the spring.

"He’s great. Smart. He’s able to make that transition because, in the end, I need to get the best three guys on the field at all times. So to have Ben and Austin in the same position, that doesn’t help anybody. So moving Austin over there, get three guys, three seniors on the field and play ball is good."

I won't be surprised if Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave prove themselves capable of handling Z by themselves, allowing Mack to move back to X. As I've written a few times and talked about on the podcast, it may ultimately come down to who is better between Jaylen Harris at X and Wilson at Z. And the answer in August may not be the same in October or November.

This is a good problem to have.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Perry
 Christopher Perry
(@Christopher Perry)
August 1, 2019 10:03 pm  

Very good problem to have. Finally we agree on something! Lol. Ultimately, you gotta have Olave and Wilson on the field...and at the same damn time.

ReplyQuote