Notifications

Rating the 2019 Big Ten Defensive Lines -- East Division  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
July 22, 2019 11:24 pm  
wpf-cross-image

After a little bit of a break from our annual Big Ten ratings, we now turn to the defense. With college football being more and more of an offensive game, the defenses that can actually hold their own are always going to have an advantage. Those who cannot, better be able to score more than the average team. Containing...

This topic was modified 7 months ago 3 times by Tony Gerdeman

James A. Mills
 James A. Mills
(@James A. Mills)
July 23, 2019 11:19 am  

LOL..you actually wrote this with a straight face Tony? It's not April 1st anymore.

ReplyQuote
Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
July 23, 2019 11:25 am  

I actually moved OSU down a spot right before I published this. The north-south approach should help OSU, but PSU has more production in comparison player to player from last year. But I may be overanalyzing (which, I guess, is part of the point).

ReplyQuote
Hank
 Hank
(@Hank)
July 23, 2019 7:36 pm  

I totally agree with you. My question is if Larry Johnson is supposed to be the best defensive line coach in the country ans they have recruited better defensive lineman than anybody in the big 10, then why are they third in the division?

ReplyQuote
Kurt Mews
 Kurt Mews
(@Kurt Mews)
July 24, 2019 12:56 pm  

Tend to agree with Hank and James A. Mills. I view OSU's DL easily above PSU and MSU. A struggling OSU OL had its way against MSU there and PSUs DL got shredded in the 4th quarter against us as we discovered just how poor our O was as the O decreased to MN, at PUR, then NE. While stats don't lie, sometimes they don't tell the whole story either;
1. OSU DL has more depth, fire power, and ability to lock down for 4-5 possessions in a row.
2. Compare draft picks of DLs over the last 7 years.
3. Unlike MSU, OSU's DL leave early due to the draft and our younger, but more talented DL don't have a lot playing time due to just a log jam up top.
4. We replace all of our DL mainly with equal or higher ranked recruits.
5. Last year's stats are slanted as arguably the best DL in the land, Bosa getting injured early in the year.
6. I place OSU's line with the likes of AL, CLEM, TX, WA and others, we've competed with them and beat some of them. MSU's and PSU's DL usually get shredded in big time games and venues; See PSU's loss to KY last year and MSU's pasting from AL in '17.

ReplyQuote

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
July 24, 2019 1:05 pm  
Posted by: @Kurt Mews

Tend to agree with Hank and James A. Mills. I view OSU's DL easily above PSU and MSU. A struggling OSU OL had its way against MSU there and PSUs DL got shredded in the 4th quarter against us as we discovered just how poor our O was as the O decreased to MN, at PUR, then NE. While stats don't lie, sometimes they don't tell the whole story either;
1. OSU DL has more depth, fire power, and ability to lock down for 4-5 possessions in a row.
2. Compare draft picks of DLs over the last 7 years.
3. Unlike MSU, OSU's DL leave early due to the draft and our younger, but more talented DL don't have a lot playing time due to just a log jam up top.
4. We replace all of our DL mainly with equal or higher ranked recruits.
5. Last year's stats are slanted as arguably the best DL in the land, Bosa getting injured early in the year.
6. I place OSU's line with the likes of AL, CLEM, TX, WA and others, we've competed with them and beat some of them. MSU's and PSU's DL usually get shredded in big time games and venues; See PSU's loss to KY last year and MSU's pasting from AL in '17.

I agree with all of this. If we're drafting players from the B1G defensive lines, OSU would have more taken than anybody else. They *should* be the best this year, but let's see it in action first.

ReplyQuote