Notifications
Clear all

Statistical Projection: Ohio State Running Backs  

RSS

AJBorland
(@ajborland)
Eminent Member
August 21, 2019 10:12 am  

Thus far, our statistical projections have touched on a little over a dozen Buckeye players. We were able to pinpoint exactly who would catch the ball this season for the hometown team. To do so, a complex algorithm was created and utilized. The system is based on hundreds of factors, churns out millions of reports, and predicts stats for the entire OSU roster.

Tim
 Tim
(@Tim)
August 21, 2019 10:46 am  

This is really hard to predict because so much depends on how quickly the QB play develops. Teams will load up against the run and dare Fields to beat them with his arm until he proves he can consistently. If he can't or if coaches don't trust him to throw it much, the running game will be more predictable and yards harder to come by. If Fields proves to be a phenom, this offense will eventually role, but it probably won't happen right away. Clemson took half the season last year to break in Lawrence before they finally started to open up and gel on offense. Hopefully our new D will carry us until then.

ReplyQuote
Christopher Perry
 Christopher Perry
(@Christopher Perry)
August 21, 2019 12:50 pm  

These predictions seem pretty spot on except I think dobbins will be more around 5 yds per carry and McCall will have at least 20 catches

ReplyQuote
Kurt Mews
 Kurt Mews
(@Kurt Mews)
August 21, 2019 2:10 pm  

Tim makes a very valid point, hopefully the read option combined with an experienced, deep WR group will negate (some....much of) that. Dobbins sometimes becomes the fall guy for a punchless OL last year. Our lack of Red Zone production and an O that could only move with Haskin's arm was finally exposed at Purdue. Hammer on nail with Dobbins and McCall, we are missing a bigger back for punch and short yardage conversion. Hence, to me Teague and Crowley are needed to add some thunder to that lightning.

ReplyQuote
Tim
 Tim
(@Tim)
August 21, 2019 3:05 pm  

Thanks, and I agree. If the coaches are afraid to run Fields much on the read option, and defenses know it'll be a handoff, yards are going to be hard to come by, and we may need our bigger backs to break some tackles and wear defenses down. We saw this a lot last year when Haskins showed read option and nobody even bothered to cover him. Weber/Dobbins often had no chance. You're also right in that last year's OL wasn't dominant. I'm not sure Stud has had one yet, but this year's at least has that potential.

ReplyQuote