Notifications
Clear all

Ten Things We Learned From Ohio State's 51-10 Win Over Indiana  

RSS

Tony Gerdeman
(@tony-gerdeman)
Noble Member Admin
September 15, 2019 7:23 pm  

What can be learned from Ohio State's 51-10 win at Indiana on Saturday? How about that we shouldn't take these Buckeyes too lightly moving forward. This was an impressive win once again and they are answering every single question with emphasis and confidence. The Buckeye offensive line has become a dominant force and is now challenging the Ohio State...

Kurt Mews
 Kurt Mews
(@Kurt Mews)
September 16, 2019 10:17 am  

Nice article, look forward to these.
10 Things.

1. The National media is now saying that OSU can possibly match the Clemsons and Alabama's of the CFB landscape, we'll find soon enough in the next month.
2. Justin Fields got off to a rocky start, then settled down with some crisp throws. Very typical for a first start on the road and a B1G opponent.
3. It's been a long time since OSU could convert anything sizable on the ground, but a few times OSU moved the chains or scored on the ground.
4. Everything flows from the OL. They are not only giving JF time to throw, but opening up holes and getting their hands on the back 7 which is why we see huge gashing runs.
5. Talking about runs. Not only did Dobbins set the tone with his rugged runs, but Teague can become the thunder to go with lightning. How many times did shoe string tackles keep him from breaking it big, which happened in the 3rd..
6. IN got their lone FG only when the refs missed a personal foul against C. Young that allowed Ramsey to run deep into OSU territory, outside of that our D kept them under wraps.
7. Tom Allen needs to understand that yelling at the refs for some very good non pass interference calls isn't going to win any games. His belly aching reminds me of Izzo at MSU.....but to no avail!
8. Unlike Urban's teams, this team doesn't spurt and sprint. It seems like a puzzle piece coming together which is very constant.
9. Speed kills, not only did our WRs get separation, but when IN's WR moved on a double reverse, it was scary how fast our LB and DBs closed on him. More often then not, OSUs speed leads them to gang tackling.
10. Lopsided victories over the Howards, Eastern IL's, Buffalo, Akron's Central and Western MI's of the world are nice, however, we find out about team once better competition arrives, While we feel good about this team, games against NE, WI, and MSU will unveil much.

ReplyQuote
Jeff
 Jeff
(@Jeff)
September 16, 2019 10:42 am  

8. Unlike Urban’s teams, this team doesn’t spurt and sprint. It seems like a puzzle piece coming together which is very constant.

Come on man, this is a ridiculous comment. You're judging 7 years work to 3 games. Geez

ReplyQuote
Buckeye All-Star
 Buckeye All-Star
(@Buckeye All-Star)
September 16, 2019 10:45 am  

"9. This team hasn’t been challenged yet."

Totally agreed on that. The Buckeyes have played solidly and are finding their juju. I'm convinced they are a bonafide top ten team. The first real challenge will be Wisconsin on Oct. 26th, I think, maybe their only real challenge in the Big Ten. I thought MSU was going to be but they have zero offense. PSU is overrated barely beating unranked Pitt and UM is overrated (as usual). I say the Badgers are going to trash Michigan this Saturday and make a statement. The way the Buckeyes are playing they should have no challenge from Nebraska or MSU but Wisconsin will be a stiff test. As long as OSU doesn't get complacent they should be able to win all their other Big Ten games.

ReplyQuote
Norman Head
 Norman Head
(@Norman Head)
September 16, 2019 12:03 pm  

So far I like what I see. It was also fun seeing how much Urban Meyer identifies with this team. The defence looks like it's fixed, last year they played way below their capabilities. I note Schiano only lasted a week with the Patriots.No further comment. And it's good to see Dobbins back in Zeke mode. As former running back I can Zeke and Dobbins see holes I don't even see. That's what makes them superior backs. I hope he can keep it up.

My disappointment so far this year is more on where the pollsters see them, and that they don't have one of the top 4 on their schedule. Where will they get the quality win they need to get noticed? Looks like we're defending on WIsoconsin to get noticed. But even then, we could end up playing them twice. That's not as good as playing two good teams.

But, as we found out in the Urban Meyer era, it's not how good you look when everything is going your way, it's how you look in the games where it isn't. Against Indiana we got a lot of bounces determined by the fickle finger of fate. Looking at Urban's game history, you have to be aware, you can't count on good luck. This team looks solid enough to deal with adversity so far.

ReplyQuote

Kurt Mews
 Kurt Mews
(@Kurt Mews)
September 16, 2019 1:24 pm  

Jeff, valid point, remember Day was head coach 3 games last year, and this is just an initial observation. Is Day doing a good job? If you say anything then it's a ridiculous statement. Has our D improved? if you say anything it's a ridiculous statement. So compared to the first three games of any season under Urban where the team stats were all over the place, the first three games, this teams seems fairly consistent.

ReplyQuote